featured article to stay at top and select all categories

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
camppaul

featured article to stay at top and select all categories

Post by camppaul »

Hi. I thought I read somewhere that you could choose an article to stay above new entires. For example, I'm wanting the ward theme to stay at the top for a while. I'm assuming the feature for this is the "featured article" button. But it doesn't work as described....as far as I can tell.

Second, when composing a article, in choosing a category, and wanting all groups included, it would be nice to be able to to a quick select 'all'. Rather than entering each category each time. Is this feature already present?

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

camppaul wrote:Hi. I thought I read somewhere that you could choose an article to stay above new entires. For example, I'm wanting the ward theme to stay at the top for a while. I'm assuming the feature for this is the "featured article" button. But it doesn't work as described....as far as I can tell.

It does work as described, but you are expecting something else. The "featured article" feature applies only to individual categories, not to the entire list. See the thread Pinning an article so that it shows at the top.; if you have any further comments on this topic, please post them to that thread (since you're only supposed to address one topic per thread anyway -- see Instructions on Giving Feedback).
camppaul wrote:Second, when composing a article, in choosing a category, and wanting all groups included, it would be nice to be able to to a quick select 'all'. Rather than entering each category each time. Is this feature already present?
I guess this depends on what you consider the purpose of categories. You called them "groups", which seems to imply that you think they represent groups of people, and you would want to include all the groups of people an article applies to, so if an article applies to all the groups, you would select all the groups.

On the other hand, I consider them to be categories, and plan to add categories that have nothing to do with groups of people. For example, we might have an "Emergency Preparedness" category that we would use to tag any articles on that topic; "Family History", "Temple", and any number of other categories might be handled similarly. I might even create a broad category like "Ward activities" or even "Ward" that would be a single category that applies to everyone in the ward.

With that latter perspective, there's really no need for a "Select All" feature.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
camppaul

Post by camppaul »

Awesome. Great feedback. I'll become more familiar with it. Thanks a million.
camppaul

Post by camppaul »

Oh, and one other thing. about my first and second question....maybe take it as a recommended feature to be able to have an article stay at the top of all threads or all or any category...also, to perhaps have a select all. I guess I was using this as a feedback resource not necessarily for questions.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

camppaul wrote:...maybe take it as a recommended feature to be able to have an article stay at the top of all threads...
I like that idea, too, and I proposed it in the thread Featured Article checkbox confusing with multiple categories.
camppaul wrote: I guess I was using this as a feedback resource not necessarily for questions.

This is indeed a great place to give feedback. But it is a community forum, so don't be surprised if people chime in with opinions, questions, or clarifications of posts you make. That's the way ideas get refined and improved!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Beta Newsletter”