Household location accuracy

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jschuchert

Household location accuracy

Post by jschuchert »

The maps program is quite remarkable. However, I have noticed that household locations, especially in a cul-de-sac are not very accurate or useful. With maybe 5 homes around the circle, only 1 household name shows at the center of the circle. This is probably being addressed so I will be patient. Incidentally, is a mobile app being developed?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jschuchert wrote:The maps program is quite remarkable. However, I have noticed that household locations, especially in a cul-de-sac are not very accurate or useful. With maybe 5 homes around the circle, only 1 household name shows at the center of the circle. This is probably being addressed so I will be patient.

The final, exact placement of the address locations is the responsibility of your ward clerks. They have the ability to move the marker to the exact spot. But in practice, the assumption of that responsibility is optional. I don't know how many wards have really undertaken that task, which would probably depend on whether their stakes have instructed the ward clerks to do the work.
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

In my stake we are implementing an emergency communication plan where we are dividing wards into sections and then having 2 members in each section be the coordinator in charge of contacting members in their section. As part of that plan I am working with the section coordinators to gather as much information as possible and one of the things I am asking them to do is have the members log in and move their own house. My hope is we get a significant percentage of the households located that way then the ward clerks job will be much easier. I will be having the first meeting with the section coordinators for one of the wards on March 17th. I guess I'll find out how well my plan works :)

In case you didn't know, if you have an lds.org account, you can log in and move your own house if it isn't correct or simply verify it if it is in the correct spot.

Chris W
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

RossEvans wrote:The final, exact placement of the address locations is the responsibility of your ward clerks. They have the ability to move the marker to the exact spot. But in practice, the assumption of that responsibility is optional. I don't know how many wards have really undertaken that task, which would probably depend on whether their stakes have instructed the ward clerks to do the work.

We have not received any direction from our Stake at all regarding this. That said, our ward has the highest accuracy level in the Stake for corrected locations (OK, I love being the Clerk).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cdw3423 wrote:In case you didn't know, if you have an lds.org account, you can log in and move your own house if it isn't correct or simply verify it if it is in the correct spot.

That's true if the house location has never been verified by a clerk, but once it has been verified by a clerk, members can no longer move their own house location.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

aebrown wrote:That's true if the house location has never been verified by a clerk, but once it has been verified by a clerk, members can no longer move their own house location.
This needs to be changed. After reviewing several locations in my stake that have been "verified" by clerks, I have found a large percentage of them to be wrong and often very wrong. The members should always be able to move their marker and I also think that the ward should have the option of letting "Emergency Response Leaders" move the markers. I personally think that expecting a ward clerk to know or figure out where all those markers should be, is very unrealistic.

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/LDS_maps_help ... categories

Chris W
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cdw3423 wrote:This needs to be changed. After reviewing several locations in my stake that have been "verified" by clerks, I have found a large percentage of them to be wrong and often very wrong. The members should always be able to move their marker...
I agree in principle with this. The member should always have input, but the clerk should have to verify, or provide final approval of, the location. This aligns with the responsibilities the clerk has to maintain the data for members as outlined in the Handbook. If a household adult member were able to move their location after being verified, and if a verified location were moved by a member then a notice should be sent to the clerk to re-verify the location.
cdw3423 wrote:..and I also think that the ward should have the option of letting "Emergency Response Leaders" move the markers.
I don't agree with this. First, there is no standard calling for this position (these positions) in MLS. Without a standard position to correlate permissions with makes this rather difficult or impossible to program. Also I would not want just anyone with a position loosely related to "emergency response" messing with my household location.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cdw3423 wrote:The members should always be able to move their marker
Final responsibility falls to the clerk. Note that members can not change their own address.
cdw3423 wrote:I also think that the ward should have the option of letting "Emergency Response Leaders" move the markers.
As pointed out, there is no such standard calling. Without a standard calling, no "powers" can be given to that calling. Also, membership information is the clerk's job. Note that there's is nothing preventing the stake from extending a clerk calling to you (in addition to "Emergency Response Leader") to do that function if that's what they desire.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jschuchert

Post by jschuchert »

aebrown wrote:That's true if the house location has never been verified by a clerk, but once it has been verified by a clerk, members can no longer move their own house location.

I am not able to move my location and the ward clerk knows nothing about it although he said he does have additional privileges with his log in so maybe he can do it. However, there are no extra markers for him to move around a cul-de-sac.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jschuchert wrote:I am not able to move my location and the ward clerk knows nothing about it although he said he does have additional privileges with his log in so maybe he can do it. However, there are no extra markers for him to move around a cul-de-sac.
The clerk can move the marker for your household to your precise location. He does not need to create any extra markers.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”