Serving Missionary Addresses

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
AileneRHerrick

Serving Missionary Addresses

Post by AileneRHerrick »

This was mentioned on a tangent in this post. I wanted to bring it up in a separate thread in case it got overlooked. :)

I would like to see a mailing address for missionaries serving from our ward. That way people can send mail or packages to them. This was an option on the old website, and I currently include this information in the ward bulletin, so it would be nice to see it in the new directory as well! :)
greggo

Post by greggo »

I could see this as a potential security issue if the address for the missionary's residence is provided.
Maybe the mission office address would be better.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

We are currently displaying all the information about missionaries that the Missionary Department has authorized us to display.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

greggo wrote:I could see this as a potential security issue if the address for the missionary's residence is provided.
Maybe the mission office address would be better.

I'd think in many cases the residence changes too often to be a good mailing address. I'm not sure as the mission office is the best for all missions, but it's a starting point.

jdcr256 wrote:We are currently displaying all the information about missionaries that the Missionary Department has authorized us to display.

Interesting. The information requested is usually printed in the Sunday bulletin or posted on the bulletin board as well as the current LUWS. Would it be possible to go back to the missionary department with this specific request?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

jdcr256 wrote:We are currently displaying all the information about missionaries that the Missionary Department has authorized us to display.
Perhaps another option would be for missionaries (or immediate family of the missionary) to "authorize" release of the information for that purpose on a case-by-case basis. Or, perhaps the missionary section could be modified to where an address may be entered by an administrator or a family member.

Thanks for keeping us posted on this!
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Perhaps another option would be for missionaries (or immediate family of the missionary) to "authorize" release of the information for that purpose on a case-by-case basis. Or, perhaps the missionary section could be modified to where an address may be entered by an administrator or a family member.

It's not the family that needs to give permission for mission addresses to be displayed. It is the church's Missionary Department.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdcr256 wrote:
AileneRHerrick wrote:Perhaps another option would be for missionaries (or immediate family of the missionary) to "authorize" release of the information for that purpose on a case-by-case basis. Or, perhaps the missionary section could be modified to where an address may be entered by an administrator or a family member.
It's not the family that needs to give permission for mission addresses to be displayed. It is the church's Missionary Department.

That response addresses the first suggestion, and is perfectly understandable. Besides, I doubt that the Missionary Department has any information about where each missionary currently resides.

The second suggestion is to give administrators the option to manually enter missionary addresses. That's the feature that was available on the Classic Ward Web Sites. That seems quite reasonable -- it's the same information that is printed in many ward bulletins right now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

jdcr256 wrote:It's not the family that needs to give permission for mission addresses to be displayed. It is the church's Missionary Department.
Oh, I meant that each family could authorize the Church's missionary department to release that information.

I guess the ability to manually enter it would seem to be the best option right now.
failproof

Post by failproof »

Just want to add another "vote" or request for something in the way of missionary addresses.

As ward website administrator, my bishop has asked me to keep the missionary addresses updated on the classic ward website. With the introduction of the new directory, it would be good to see some way to have this displayed in the Serving Missionaries section of the new directory.

I agree that current missionary residence address is too much to keep up with due to transfers and since mail/postal services in some countries are unreliable. But it would be nice to see at least the mission office/home address or have a way to enter the address as an administrator. Additionally, it would be good to know if that mission is on the Church's pouch system so that members know that they can either mail to the church headquarters pouch address or use a website like dearelder.com
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

failproof wrote:Just want to add another "vote" or request for something in the way of missionary addresses.

As ward website administrator, my bishop has asked me to keep the missionary addresses updated on the classic ward website. With the introduction of the new directory, it would be good to see some way to have this displayed in the Serving Missionaries section of the new directory.

I agree that current missionary residence address is too much to keep up with due to transfers and since mail/postal services in some countries are unreliable. But it would be nice to see at least the mission office/home address or have a way to enter the address as an administrator. Additionally, it would be good to know if that mission is on the Church's pouch system so that members know that they can either mail to the church headquarters pouch address or use a website like dearelder.com
It's not as nice, but you could put the addresses in the new newsletter application (currently in beta). Members of the bishopric (including clerks/exec sec) can get the mission addresses, including pouch codes, from CDOL.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”