Attachment problem

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
zaneclark

Attachment problem

Post by zaneclark »

I added an attachment to an article and tried it on my Mac, my ipad and iphone and was able to open it perfectly. However on a PC laptop, it refuses to open. The article opens fine, just not the attachment. I tried Explorer, Firefox and Chrome but none worked. I am NOT a PC person and so there is the possibility that I needed to do something to make it open, but I can't see what that would be...any ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What kind of attachment? What was the file extension?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

RussellHltn wrote:What kind of attachment? What was the file extension?
It was a PDF
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:However on a PC laptop, it refuses to open. The article opens fine, just not the attachment.

Could you be more specific about what "refuses to open" means? It could mean any of the following or more:
  • The attachment bar won't open up when you click on it, so you can't even see the actual attachment link.
  • Clicking on the attachment link does nothing.
  • Clicking on the attachment link downloads the attachment, but you don't know where to find it in your browser.
  • The attachment is downloaded and you can see it, but when you try to open it, nothing happens.
  • The attachment is downloaded and you can see it, but when you try to open it, you get an error message.
  • The attachment is downloaded and you can open it, but it is blank or somehow not visible.
Which of these is happening? Or something else?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

aebrown wrote:Could you be more specific about what "refuses to open" means? It could mean any of the following or more:

• The attachment bar won't open up when you click on it, so you can't even see the actual attachment link.
  • Clicking on the attachment link does nothing.
  • Clicking on the attachment link downloads the attachment, but you don't know where to find it in your browser.
  • The attachment is downloaded and you can see it, but when you try to open it, nothing happens.
  • The attachment is downloaded and you can see it, but when you try to open it, you get an error message.
  • The attachment is downloaded and you can open it, but it is blank or somehow not visible.
Which of these is happening? Or something else?

When it works, I see the word "attachment" and click on that or on the word "expand" on the right.
I then see the name of the attachment which opens when I click on it. On the PC, I see the word "attatchment" and the word "expand" but neither will get me to the name of the attachment so I can open it. I guess this is your first possibility listed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote: On the PC, I see the word "attatchment" and the word "expand" but neither will get me to the name of the attachment so I can open it. I guess this is your first possibility listed.

Hmmm. That sounds like the problem reported in Attachments not available in Internet Explorer, but I've only been able to reproduce that particular problem in IE -- it works fine for me in Firefox and Chrome. But you said that you have the same problem in Firefox and Chrome, as well as IE.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

aebrown wrote:Hmmm. That sounds like the problem reported in Attachments not available in Internet Explorer, but I've only been able to reproduce that particular problem in IE -- it works fine for me in Firefox and Chrome. But you said that you have the same problem in Firefox and Chrome, as well as IE.
I just reloaded the article and pdf attachment using chrome on my Mac, and now it opens in chrome on the pc but still not in explorer or firefox.... I guess that's what beta means in the url.....
jaj78

.pdf attachment not opening in Firefox, but yes in Chrome

Post by jaj78 »

I saw the same issue yesterday when in Firefox.

The attachment showed a link that said "Attachment" but did nothing in Firefox. (Though I was in an older Firefox 3.6.18)

I switched over to Chrome, and the attachment link showed the filename and could download successfully.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

If something was changed in Chrome to allow it to open the attachment, maybe they will be able to make the same change in Explorer and Firefox... And i am hoping if I read the post correctly, this forum is the place for feedback...no need to use the feedback on the Newsletter page...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jaj78 wrote:The attachment showed a link that said "Attachment" but did nothing in Firefox. (Though I was in an older Firefox 3.6.18)

That's a very old version of Firefox (2 years old). I don't think you can expect the Church to support all old versions of browsers. I'd recommend that you upgrade and I'll bet your problem will go away.

Return to “Beta Newsletter”