Helpful additional information for the Membership directory

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
thatvickigirl

Helpful additional information for the Membership directory

Post by thatvickigirl »

A member of my ward Elder's Quorum presidency suggested to me that adding the names of a family's current home teachers and contact information would be useful when viewing the directory. Additionally, knowing who the visiting teachers for the sister in the family would also be nice as well. Is it possible to link this information into the household and/or individuals profiles for each family member? It would be very useful in case of emergencies or if a family does not know who their home teacher or visiting teacher is for some reason.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I would like to second this as useful information. I have a custom report in MLS that is very popular with the RS President: It lists each sister, her Contact Information, her Visiting Teachers and her Home Teachers. A second custom report lists 12-months rolling of HT and VT history so the RS President can see who is being missed. Having this available as part of the Online version as things roll out would be useful.

Actually, if the entire Custom Report functionality from MLS could be ported to the online version when the time comes, that would be about perfect in my book.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I doubt if that would be added to the directory for the general membership to see, but it may well be on the road map for the Leader Portal.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thatvickigirl

Post by thatvickigirl »

It makes a lot of sense for the leader portal. I wonder if it could be added to "My Household" so that the family knows as soon as new home teachers and visiting teachers are assigned as well?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Home teaching detail information is not stored on any Church HQ system. It is only available on the local MLS. Until provision is made for this data to be available other than in MLS it cannot be displayed in any manner online, including the leader portal.

See this post by Ryan Jones, CDOL delveloper.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
moonman239

Post by moonman239 »

jdlessley wrote:Home teaching detail information is not stored on any Church HQ system. It is only available on the local MLS. Until provision is made for this data to be available other than in MLS it cannot be displayed in any manner online, including the leader portal.

See this post by Ryan Jones, CDOL delveloper.
Couldn't they have the ward clerk or the elders quorum presidency input that information into the system? They do that with the calendars.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

moonman239 wrote:Couldn't they have the ward clerk or the elders quorum presidency input that information into the system? They do that with the calendars.
It's not a question of inputting the data; the data does already exist in MLS. The difference is that the calendar is already designed and implemented as a system that stores information on Church servers, whereas there is no system on Church servers currently designed to store home teaching detail information.

Until it becomes a priority for the Church to make changes to databases, web services, and other systems to accommodate detailed home teaching data, there's no point in proposing how the data might get into such a system.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:I doubt if that would be added to the directory for the general membership to see, but it may well be on the road map for the Leader Portal.
davesudweeks wrote:I would like to second this as useful information. I have a custom report in MLS that is very popular with the RS President:
I third this as useful for THE PRESIDENT or other ward leaders on LDS.org, but would never want home or visiting teaching assignments made public for ward scrutiny as these can be very sensitive assignments. Nobody should be second-guessing why a president or HPG leader made a certain assignment, or make any judgments as to why brother or sister so-and-so isn't assigned to home and visit teach, etc.

I could see it as viewable for the family only, to list his / her teachers. And, I personally would love an online reporting system for home teaching, as has been discussed and promised. But I see this as a big resource commitment CHQ may not be ready to make.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”