Downloading MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
reimerba

Downloading MLS

Post by reimerba »

I just got called as ward executive secretary. I went to LDS.org and found this link:

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=a95eefe64dcee010VgnVCM100000176f620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=bfcead71ca9ef010VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

Does this allow me to download MLS to my laptop? I happen to work for the Church and have a Church issued laptop......or is the above link only for downloading onto the computers in the Clerk's office?

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the .pdf]policy that covers Church meeting house computers, under the responsibilities of a STS I find:

Ensures that ward clerks do not install
Church record-keeping software on their
home computers and that they do not
reverse-engineer record-keeping software
code.
opee

Post by opee »

RussellHltn wrote:In the .pdf]policy that covers Church meeting house computers, under the responsibilities of a STS I find:

Ensures that ward clerks do not install
Church record-keeping software on their
home computers and that they do not
reverse-engineer record-keeping software
code.

I missed reading that bullet. I understand this point, in principle, but wouldn't it make sense for clerks to be able to install MLS software on a home computer to practice or help troubleshoot problems using the Practice Units setup in MLS? It seems like it would allow a Stake Clerk to be more effective if he can help to answer some of the questions that clerks have during the week by referring to the software while at home, and not have to be at the Stake Center (especially if he lives far from the church building). (Especially since Stake Clerks are supposed to be the first line of contact before going to HQ for Support and answering questions.)??
Jimmer-p40

Post by Jimmer-p40 »

opee wrote:I missed reading that bullet. I understand this point, in principle, but wouldn't it make sense for clerks to be able to install MLS software on a home computer to practice or help troubleshoot problems using the Practice Units setup in MLS? It seems like it would allow a Stake Clerk to be more effective if he can help to answer some of the questions that clerks have during the week by referring to the software while at home, and not have to be at the Stake Center (especially if he lives far from the church building). (Especially since Stake Clerks are supposed to be the first line of contact before going to HQ for Support and answering questions.)??

Russellhltn is correct in the policy that we are not supposed to keep membership information on a personal computer. However, MLS can be used on a personal computer as long as you do not keep any member or financial information on it. In other words, you should only use the test unit (108) if you are going to use MLS on a personal computer.
Hope this helps.
poulsone

Post by poulsone »

Jimmer wrote:Russellhltn is correct in the policy that we are not supposed to keep membership information on a personal computer.
Does the policy allow exporting the membership data, and taking it home to work on things like a ward directory? I remember reading somewhere about a requirement to keep data encrypted when on PDAs - this implies that putting it on a PDA is allowed.

Thanks!

Eric P
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

poulsone wrote:Does the policy allow exporting the membership data, and taking it home to work on things like a ward directory? I remember reading somewhere about a requirement to keep data encrypted when on PDAs - this implies that putting it on a PDA is allowed.

Thanks!

Eric P
You can export it for use on your own computer or PDA but you must keep it secure and cannot share it with anyone.

Tom
whick-p40

Post by whick-p40 »

Jimmer wrote:Russellhltn is correct in the policy that we are not supposed to keep membership information on a personal computer. However, MLS can be used on a personal computer as long as you do not keep any member or financial information on it. In other words, you should only use the test unit (108) if you are going to use MLS on a personal computer.
Hope this helps.

Where do you find the .bak file to load for test unit 108?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

whick wrote:Where do you find the .bak file to load for test unit 108?
You don't. Simply create a new unit with that unit number and MLS will automatically populate it with data. Once you've created it, then you can make a backup of it.

And, since it is the end of the year, you might want to give thought about when to create it. I believe to populates itself with data on the year it was created. I've had problems going back to the test unit when I haven't used it in a very long time. Usually end up deleting and recreating it.
Jeremy-p40

Post by Jeremy-p40 »

opee wrote:Wouldn't it make sense for clerks to be able to install MLS software on a home computer to practice or help troubleshoot problems using the Practice Units setup in MLS? It seems like it would allow a Stake Clerk to be more effective if he can help to answer some of the questions that clerks have during the week by referring to the software while at home, and not have to be at the Stake Center (especially if he lives far from the church building). (Especially since Stake Clerks are supposed to be the first line of contact before going to HQ for Support and answering questions.)??
You can use test MLS information on your home computer. (Someone please let me know if I'm wrong.) You just can't use a backup with real membership or financial data.

To get test data, download and install the current version MLS (from mls.lds.org - make sure you first find the username and password) onto your home computer. After you download and install MLS, you will be given screens to set up the program. For the ward/branch, use 108 as the unit number and name it whatever you want; for the stake/district, use 2224445 as the unit number and name it whatever you want. You will be able to create a username and password for yourself. Once the test units are set up, you can use the test data to learn MLS.

You just need to be sure to download the most current version of MLS every time a new patch is sent out, so you have the same version as either your own ward or the wards you are helping.
:D Happy to serve

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”