Image alignment

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
aebrown
Community Administrator

Image alignment

Post by aebrown »

The Add images section of the help document Creating articles on Newsletter says:
Alignment. Images you upload are automatically aligned to the left. You cannot change the alignment, nor does text wrap around the image. As such, images will look best if they are about 500px or larger, because they will fill the full frame.
In my testing, that doesn't seem to be quite correct. Instead:
  • Images are not aligned to the left, but rather are simply placed inline.
  • Images are displayed in their actual size, unless they are larger than 542px, in which case they are reduced to a width of 542px. Images are never made larger than their actual size (even though that is implied by "they will fill the full frame").
But it is true that you "cannot change the alignment, nor does text wrap around the image."

Because images are placed inline with the text, it's possible to put small images within the text, such as a "New!" icon or a graphical emoticon, or (if you are giving instructions on using software) a button or other control the user is supposed to click. That's a usage that people are unlikely to even think of, given the misleading instructions in the documentation.

Are others seeing what I'm seeing? As we get closer to the official release, we need to make sure the documentation is as accurate as possible.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

In my experimentation of the image feature, the WYSIWYG editor inserts images inline, but when you save and view the post, the alignment is set to the left, with no text floating to the right. Maybe I'm using the terms wrong to describe this behavior.

Re 542px size, yes, you are correct. I will try to express this point better in the help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnsonth wrote:In my experimentation of the image feature, the WYSIWYG editor inserts images inline, but when you save and view the post, the alignment is set to the left, with no text floating to the right. Maybe I'm using the terms wrong to describe this behavior.

Yes, you're right. The editor gives a misleading impression in how it displays images, and I trusted it without saving the article, so I didn't see the actual display. That's too bad that we have a WYSISOCTWYG (What you see is sort of close to what you get) rather than a WYSIWYG editor in this regard.

But given the way it works, I do like the change you just made to the help text -- it lets people know that what they see in the editor won't match the actual display in this regard.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Beta Newsletter”