Stake transfering funds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ramsdenb

Stake transfering funds

Post by ramsdenb »

Whenever the stake is transferring funds from a ward, is it necessary to transfer any monies from the other account? In the past, under different stake clerks in our stake, with the authorization from the stake presidents, the transfer of funds has come from the wards budget account. It was then up to the ward or financial clerk to transfer any funds in the other account to. Any thoughts here or any official church statements on this matter?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The fact that ward funds are going to the stake has no bearing on the appropriate category for the ward to use. Rather, the ward uses Budget funds or Other funds according to the standard guidelines. If it is a valid budget expense, then it comes directly from the appropriate subcategory of Budget. If it is a valid Authorized Member Financed Activities expense, then the corresponding deposits should have been made into a subcategory of AMFA, and then the ward would certainly write the check out of that same subcategory.

Doing anything other than that straightforward approach requires a pointless transfer of funds between major categories in the ward and may well be contrary to Church policy for use of the AMFA account.

I hope I understood your question correctly. The wording "Whenever the stake is transferring funds from a ward" seems quite odd -- the stake has no ability to transfer funds from a ward. The stake may make a request, but the ward has to initiate the transfer by writing a check to the stake. Then the stake simply deposits that check into the appropriate category (which may or may not be the same major category as the ward used -- there's no connection).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:I hope I understood your question correctly. The wording "Whenever the stake is transferring funds from a ward" seems quite odd -- the stake has no ability to transfer funds from a ward. The stake may make a request, but the ward has to initiate the transfer by writing a check to the stake. Then the stake simply deposits that check into the appropriate category (which may or may not be the same major category as the ward used -- there's no connection).
Although that's true in the US I believe that some other countries do use transfers between units (I know that in some countries checks in general are not used). I don't see any indication of what country the OP is in but based on the terminology I wouldn't be surprised if they were not US or Canada.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they were not US or Canada.

Unfortunately we are very "North American"-centric in our thinking on the forum, because that's where most of the forums members are from. It would help greatly if everyone updated the "location" in the profile with at least their country. Especially if they're outside of the U.S.

it used to be required, but with the integration with LDS Accounts, we lost that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MerrillDL

Post by MerrillDL »

RussellHltn wrote:Unfortunately we are very "North American"-centric in our thinking on the forum, because that's where most of the forums members are from. It would help greatly if everyone updated the "location" in the profile with at least their country. Especially if they're outside of the U.S.

it used to be required, but with the integration with LDS Accounts, we lost that.

You don't need to update "Location". LDS Account should be linked to your Membership Record. Your Membership Record contains your address, which contains House number, street, city, State/Region/Country.

Be sure your LDS Account is linked to your MRN and location will not be an issue.

Go to ldsaccount.lds.org and login to the LDS Account Profile Manager.

Hint: never create two LDS Accounts. If you think you have TWO LDS Accounts, please contact the Global Service Center to have one of them deleted. Note: they aren't supposed to delete an LDS Account if it has been used for familysearch indexing.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MerrillDL wrote:Be sure your LDS Account is linked to your MRN and location will not be an issue.

I think you're missing the point. Here on the LDSTech Forum, it's not particularly helpful to know that the LDS Account is linked to your location, since the location specified in someone's membership record is not visible on the forum (and of course it should not automatically be made visible).

When we are responding to a post someone makes on a forum, it's very helpful for us to know where the person is from. Unless the person manually updates their forum profile to provide the location, we won't know that. And that can lead to misdirected responses, as my first response in this thread most likely was.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
simonawright

Post by simonawright »

Hello

As you can see I am in Europe and we do transfer funds between units. Although I cannot transfer the funds on MLS it is common practice for Stake financial clerks to send requests to the local administration office for them to action the transfers. As far as the office is concerned the transfer is approved and the ward has no say in the matter.

This is the usual way of dealing with things like EFY. The units could send a request to church offices if they want to transfer the funds, we have found it is a great incentive for the units to get the money from the members if they know it is going out of their unit whatever they do.

We are actively discouraged from writing cheques to other church units as we all use the same bank account and we would be charged by the bank for an administrative procedure on our part, the funds themselves would never move.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

simonawright wrote:Hello

As you can see I am in Europe and we do transfer funds between units. Although I cannot transfer the funds on MLS it is common practice for Stake financial clerks to send requests to the local administration office for them to action the transfers. As far as the office is concerned the transfer is approved and the ward has no say in the matter.

This is the usual way of dealing with things like EFY. The units could send a request to church offices if they want to transfer the funds, we have found it is a great incentive for the units to get the money from the members if they know it is going out of their unit whatever they do.

We are actively discouraged from writing cheques to other church units as we all use the same bank account and we would be charged by the bank for an administrative procedure on our part, the funds themselves would never move.

The way you've described the transfers seems like it would violate numerous policies and stewardships as given in the Handbook, and potentially lead to units routinely taking money from the Other account and putting it into the Budget, but "When in Rome," I guess.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”