Feature: Add some integration between Newsletter and Calendar

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
kisaac
Community Moderators

Feature: Add some integration between Newsletter and Calendar

Post by kisaac »

while some integration was suggested in this post, Feature Add post on update to Calendar, I'm not sure that I would like that integration...

What I would like- Integration with the calendar.
The two could be very complimentary, considering the calendar has the current limitations of no text formatting for long entries, no hyperlink ability, no pictures, and no attachments, while the newsletter has all of these abilities. For example:
  • A calendar item for a ward father and sons, girls camp or scouting event can "link" or otherwise be tied to the newsletter tool for the full details. The newsletter article can have the parental permission slip, packing list, schedule of events, picture of the really cool campsite, and the automobile map so dad doesn't get lost.
  • A calendar item for the stake canning service project assignment. The newsletter can have the separate ward patron assignments, the time schedule, the lds.maps link to the cannery, and the patron information and dress code.
  • And, the calendar has the ability to send out reminders or notices via email, somewhat overcoming the limitation of the newsletter's ability to send any emails... we just need them somehow linked together.
I realize in your calendar post you could say "go find my article in the newsletter tool, under the primary (or whatever) tab," but as the articles grow, it will be harder to find and take more than the two seconds people want it to take to get the information they need. If the information is there, make it quick and easy! Some kind of "hyperlink-like" ability between calendar and newsletter articles, would be great.

(I know the article referencing "the tolerable waiting time for information retrieval" may not fully apply here...but it is interesting how we DON'T have much patience over two seconds for our information anymore)
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

in my company, we have a saying... 2 seconds is 2 long.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

kisaac wrote:Some kind of "hyperlink-like" ability between calendar and newsletter articles, would be great.
That would be awesome! I would love that feature too.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I would like this feature, too. But it really has little or nothing to do with the Newsletter -- it's a suggested improvement in the Calendar application.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

aebrown wrote:I would like this feature, too. But it really has little or nothing to do with the Newsletter -- it's a suggested improvement in the Calendar application.
I'd like an integration between calendar and newsletter, not just Calendar TO newsletter. It could work both ways... a newsletter article could "link" back to a calendar date or range of dates...

I see it as an improvement for them both.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

kisaac wrote:I'd like an integration between calendar and newsletter, not just Calendar TO newsletter. It could work both ways... a newsletter article could "link" back to a calendar date or range of dates...

I see it as an improvement for them both.

I like this feature request
+1

Return to “Beta Newsletter”