881W Rack Mounting Ears

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
JeffTurgeon

881W Rack Mounting Ears

Post by JeffTurgeon »

Does anyone know if the 881w firewall/router has an available rack mounting kit (ears)?

If so what would be the part number for these ears?

We are mounting the 881w in a steel network cabinet along with the switches and surge protector and want to avoid having it sit on the bottom of the cabinet.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

I don't find any rack mount option for the 881W from Cisco, but you should be able to get a 1U rack shelf for a reasonable price. I found a good deal on one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raxxess-UNS-1-U ... 1c23cfcc6d
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I found instructions that cover the 880 series, but it doesn't mention being able to mount that in a rack. Only the 890 series.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JeffTurgeon wrote:We are mounting the 881w in a steel network cabinet along with the switches and surge protector and want to avoid having it sit on the bottom of the cabinet.

Does WiFi work through the steel cabinet, or do you lose signal strength because of it? We have the metal cabinet containing the old firewall, but wondered if it would be wise to put the 881w inside it as we upgrade. Thoughts? Thanks.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:Does WiFi work through the steel cabinet, or do you lose signal strength because of it? We have the metal cabinet containing the old firewall, but wondered if it would be wise to put the 881w inside it as we upgrade. Thoughts? Thanks.
I would think the amount of coverage loss would depend on the type of cabinet and orientation. I have heard of some using a set of RP-TNC extender cables to relocate the antennas outside their cabinet. The ones from Cisco are very pricey, but there are other cables out there that are MUCH more reasonably priced.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

lajackson wrote:Does WiFi work through the steel cabinet, or do you lose signal strength because of it? We have the metal cabinet containing the old firewall, but wondered if it would be wise to put the 881w inside it as we upgrade. Thoughts? Thanks.

lajackon, wifi will work through a steel cabinet, but you will loose signal strength. I put a 881w inside of one and when the door was open signal strength in the library was -30, but when I closed the door the signal strength dropped to -50.

I'm waiting on a set of extenders to bring the antennas outside of the cabinet, but haven't gotten them from the person who picked them up for me.
JeffTurgeon

Re: 881W Rack Mounting Ears

Post by JeffTurgeon »

We typically do not put our equipment in enclosed steel grilled cabinets but we had no choice. We had to use shielded cables, shielded switch, shielded patch panel, and shielded terminations for all runs. Including all cables from wall jacks to each PC.

This was due to this building being located so close to a radio station transmitter (about a typical suburban half block away) putting out over 50,000 watts. When traveling South from Michigan I have been able to pick this station up all the way down in Tennessee with the only transmitter being the one next door to the church. When the phones at this building were installed the radio station was louder than the dial tone or the person on the other end.

The installation turned out really clean and virtually unnoticeable, even with the added requirements. I'm sure it cost the FM Group plenty in materials but they were willing to let us do it right the first time.

Problem free since going on-line.

As for WIFI transmission from the firewall/router it is null. The cabinet is doing a great job killing all RF. We placed an AP in the hallway not far from the satellite closet where the IT equipment cage was installed to cover the area. I was impressed to see that the APs had shielded connections on them as well.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: 881W Rack Mounting Ears

Post by lajackson »

JeffTurgeon wrote:I'm sure it cost the FM Group plenty in materials but they were willing to let us do it right the first time.

Problem free since going on-line.

As for WIFI transmission from the firewall/router it is null. The cabinet is doing a great job killing all RF.
Ooh. I know where you are at. That station goes a lot farther than Tennessee. And at night, it covers the country and much of the world.

Congratulations to you and the FM group for doing it right so that your network will function.

Not being quite so close to a clear channel AM station (type, not company name), we were able to leave our 881W outside the box, which has greatly extended its range, at least in the corner of the building where it is located.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”