Feature: Allow articles to expire

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
jasonhyer

Feature: Allow articles to expire

Post by jasonhyer »

A great feature that I believe used to be in the classic tools was to have an expiration date for an article. If I'm advertising a certain event, it would be nice to have the article expire once the event is over.
Jason Hyer
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

+1 would be a very nice feature.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

The Newsletter privacy guildelines on the wiki say:
Retention

Ward newsletters may not be retained longer than a year to avoid potential claims under various data privacy laws. If the ward newsletter will be incorporated into a ward/stake history, a more formal approval process must be followed.
I wonder if that means that all articles automatically expire after a year.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cognifloyd wrote:I wonder if that means that all articles automatically expire after a year.
It looks that way to me. I guess that the reason for the one year limit is because photos can be imbedded in the newsletter.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cognifloyd wrote:I wonder if that means that all articles automatically expire after a year.

That's how I read it, too. But it's not necessarily desirable. There are plenty of very useful informational items that have no sensitivity that would require expiration, and so automatic expiration just creates a hassle.

For example, suppose you upload building floor plans for use by Sunday School and Primary leaders in deciding which classes will meet in which class rooms. That's helpful information, but it's primarily used once a year about the time you are planning the next year's classes. But if that item expires in a year, it will likely expire right about the time you need it again. There's no good reason for such an item to automatically expire.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I agree that I used the ability on Classic to set an expiration date often. If the event is done, let it drop off automatically on the day after. No need to go back and "clean up" the old stuff that way.
aebrown wrote:There are plenty of very useful informational items that have no sensitivity that would require expiration, and so automatic expiration just creates a hassle.
I also don't want a "forced" automatic expiration. We used classic news and information for things that NEVER expired. These weren't really "news" items, but they certainly were "information" we needed to deliver, none the less. Such as maps to stake camps that we use every year, or forms members can print off to fill in and return to leaders, and some recurring service project schedules, with their maps to the locations.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:I also don't want a "forced" automatic expiration. We used classic news and information for things that NEVER expired.
Some examples from our site: Temple Interview schedule, Family History Center hours, Stake Center Reservation form (for private events).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I wonder if one of the developers could confirm if we can keep things in the newsletter section as long as WE wish (I.E. longer than a year?) if we don't keep things that might be a privacy issue?
SorensonMi
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by SorensonMi »

We are currently working through this exact question with the data privacy group. We will update you when we know more.

Thanks
Mindie
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

SorensonMi wrote:We are currently working through this exact question with the data privacy group. We will update you when we know more.
while you work through the question, if this is to be a somewhat temporary "ward newsletters only" application, perhaps we need a long term storage area for those other items that wards and stakes would like to save online, as mentioned in this thread, much like a secure "google docs" where we can put those electronic things our members need access to?

Return to “Beta Newsletter”