Ordering of articles based on edit date, not creation date

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
aebrown
Community Administrator

Ordering of articles based on edit date, not creation date

Post by aebrown »

It seems that whenever you edit an article, it goes back to the front of the line. So it appears that the "reverse chronological order" sorting keys off the last modified date, not the creation date.

That seems like a strange choice. Most blogs I deal with establish the order as an item is posted, and editing an item doesn't change that order. You may need to edit an existing article for some reason; especially if articles reflect the order that historical events actually occurred in, you don't want that article to jump out of historical sequence just because you fixed a typo.

So I would recommend that the ordering be based on creation date.

[Update: I changed the word "post" to "article" to make it clear that I am talking about the Beta Newsletter application.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ggconrad

Post by ggconrad »

I completely agree. This issue has been bugging me for some time now, as I've been posting to the Maps, Directory, and Lesson Scheduler forums as well. I just wasn't sure what forum to post in, but seeing as how someone else already started this, I figured this location would work nicely.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ggconrad wrote:I completely agree. This issue has been bugging me for some time now, as I've been posting to the Maps, Directory, and Lesson Scheduler forums as well. I just wasn't sure what forum to post in, but seeing as how someone else already started this, I figured this location would work nicely.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. You seem to be talking about the LDSTech forums, but I was talking about the beta Newsletter application on lds.org. But since I originally used the word "post" instead of "article" (I have since edited my original post), I could see how that might be confusing (although LDSTech doesn't order posts by edit date -- the creation date determines the sort order).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Beta Newsletter”