Apps for Duty to God and Personal Progress

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
jolivier23

Apps for Duty to God and Personal Progress

Post by jolivier23 »

Has there been any consideration of making an app that syncs with the online personal progress/Duty to God tools? We had a discussion about that last night. We have a wifi network at the chapel but we don't really want the youth accessing it. However, if they had a mobile app (most of them have an iPod touch) that worked like the calendar app and just synched itself when it recognized a network, then that could be really helpful to leaders in tracking progress and such.

I don't know anything about app creation...but would be willing to help (I am a software engineer...so I have skills...just not experience in this particular area).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you're interested in developing mobile apps, I suggest you drop a line to Tom Welch
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
s.messinger@q.com

phone app

Post by s.messinger@q.com »

Did you talk to someone about phone app? i might be interested in doing it, if no one is. I'm a computer science major and working on my senior project on an android app right now. I might be able to do something this summer if no one is doing it.
jolivier23

Post by jolivier23 »

No, I haven't. I am just back to looking at this because I want to ask some questions about something else.
KathrynGZ

Any update on a mobile app?

Post by KathrynGZ »

I'm going to be doing Personal Progress as a mentor with some young women. The web site is awesome, but I would love a mobile app for my tablet (HTC Evo on Android). I searched the project list but don't see anything about Personal Progress. Has anyone heard anything?
markthomas73

Have idea for Duty to God and Personal Progress Apps

Post by markthomas73 »

Hi,

I have worked in the young women program for a number of years and think that a personal progress app would be very beneficial. Several years ago I put together a chart and checklist for personal progress that could be the basis of an app for personal progress. I guess is what I am saying, I have the idea but not the ability to make the app.

Think about the young women having the app on their phone that they can see a chart that displays experiences and projects "done" "in progress" and "done". They can then click on the experience to see the specifics of what they need to do with the things they have done highlighted. If one of those items is read a certain scripture they can tap on the scripture and be taken to it so they can read it right through the app. Or if they need to read a conference talk on motherhood, they can tap on that item and be taken to several talks that meet that criteria. It would also be cool if parents could also have the same app that syncs up with their daughters and can see where she is as and working on. Not sure how hard that would be to do.

If anyone is interested, let me know. The same type of idea would also work for the Duty to God program.
ldspearce

Any updates?

Post by ldspearce »

The new Personal Progress website is great! I have recently been called to serve again in the YW organization and I attended a Stake Leadership Meeting last week where I asked other YW leaders if anyone is using the site for tracking purposes. The resounding answer was, "No!" The girls do not use the website.

Smartphone apps are the way to go. An integrated app would be more useful than trying to get the YW to look at a tiny browser window on their phones.

The app could even be more detailed like check boxes for values where you have to repeat something for 30 days, etc... Also, it could be integrated with the Gospel Library to open scriptures or search for talks on a particular subject. On the Value Projects, there could be places to enter dates and hours to keep track since there is a minimum 10 hour requirement.

Just a few ideas....:)
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Or the site could be migrated to the responsive design of many other sites.... it would be very valuable as well.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
ruthkashton

Re: Apps for Duty to God and Personal Progress

Post by ruthkashton »

I completely agree that an integrated smartphone app would be really useful to the Young Women. All of my YW have smartphones, but hardly any of them have much access to the internet at home. They are also notoriously bad at bringing their books with them to church or activities. They even use the Youth app, so I think that a Personal Progress app would be well received.
davesudweeks

Re: Apps for Duty to God and Personal Progress

Post by davesudweeks »

ruthkashton wrote:I completely agree that an integrated smartphone app would be really useful to the Young Women. All of my YW have smartphones, but hardly any of them have much access to the internet at home. They are also notoriously bad at bringing their books with them to church or activities. They even use the Youth app, so I think that a Personal Progress app would be well received.
Perhaps all of your YW have smartphones, but I there are many in the church who do not. An integrated app is not a bad idea, but the needs of those who access online through a computer and those who have no access at all still need to be met as well.

With the church's limited resources, sometimes that means the latest technology will not be developed in the short term - not because it is not a good idea, but because it would exclude certain individuals in a ward, stake, or area of the world.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”