1041n and IP addresses

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

rickk wrote:If you are using the LDSAccess system, how do you shut down the wireless for a conference? The 881 acts as an access point as do the 1041n devices. You can unplug the 1041n, but what do you do about the firewall? I ask because we currently have the 881 with some cisco 4410N access points that we are administering. We are having problems with reliability on the wireless connections (I will ask that question in another thread), so we thought we should shut down the wifi on the 881 just to be sure it wasn't causing any problems. We called the GSC and were told that there are only 5 of them in the group and they have a policy that they will not turn off the wifi on the 881. If this is the case, it seems like you can't completely disable wireless during a conference broadcast...
True, but in our building, the firewall is in the back of the building, about as far away from the chapel as you can get, so that hasn't been a big issue.
Frankly, if I were setting up the firewalls, I would create rules to give high priority to all traffic to/from stream.lds.org. If that was done, such traffic would take precedence over other traffic and it wouldnt matter (within reason) what anyone else was doing on the network. That would eliminate the need to shut off the wireless access points.
I have seen a rumor that there may be a system to disable the wireless and/or disallow logins for a predefined time, but I haven't seen anything definite.

Aaron Z
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

rickk wrote:If you are using the LDSAccess system, how do you shut down the wireless for a conference? The 881 acts as an access point as do the 1041n devices. You can unplug the 1041n, but what do you do about the firewall? I ask because we currently have the 881 with some cisco 4410N access points that we are administering. We are having problems with reliability on the wireless connections (I will ask that question in another thread), so we thought we should shut down the wifi on the 881 just to be sure it wasn't causing any problems. We called the GSC and were told that there are only 5 of them in the group and they have a policy that they will not turn off the wifi on the 881. If this is the case, it seems like you can't completely disable wireless during a conference broadcast...

Another way is to unplug the WAPS from the power brick. That will shut down the wifi in the rest of the building. I may run into that this weekend.
rickk

Post by rickk »

Yes, that is what I meant by saying you could disable the AP's by unplugging them. It doesn't answer the question about what to do with the firewall. You could wire across it for the broadcast and run directly from the DSL model to the broadcast receiver, but that seems like something we shouldn't be doing. As long as we can't turn off the wireless on the 881W, it seems like we will have at least a small pocket of wireless access that could interfere with the broadcast stream...
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

rickk wrote:Yes, that is what I meant by saying you could disable the AP's by unplugging them. It doesn't answer the question about what to do with the firewall. You could wire across it for the broadcast and run directly from the DSL model to the broadcast receiver, but that seems like something we shouldn't be doing. As long as we can't turn off the wireless on the 881W, it seems like we will have at least a small pocket of wireless access that could interfere with the broadcast stream...
As was mentioned before, just unscrew the antennas from the back of the 881W. The WiFi range will drop to a few feet, if that.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”