Sophos installation problems

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Biggles

Sophos installation problems

Post by Biggles »

bfromm wrote:You may have also noticed that the "Local Unit Security Software" was updated. Instead of linking you to Sophos Endpoint Security version 7, the link now delivers Sophos Endpoint Security version 9.5. We are in the process of pushing out the updated version to all clerk machines. If your machine hasn't received the update yet, feel free to install the updated version manually. Please note that 1) your computer needs to reboot to finish the installation process and 2) the Anti-Virus and Firewall functionality will be combined into a single icon.

I've downloaded this software, twice. Each time it fails to execute, other than unpacking, giving an error message something like "unable to process C:\Program....."

This was on two separate machines both running XP. Any one else had this problem?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I've gotten this same error message on a Windows XP system.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've had it work in the past on the stake machine. Are your XP machines on SP3?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

The update worked fine on our Stake computer, running XP SP3.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:I've had it work in the past on the stake machine. Are your XP machines on SP3?
Yes, fully updated and on SP3. I have not tried to install since the last time 10 days ago to try and repair an updating issue. Fortunately the update issue resolved itself and I no longer needed to do an new install or on-top install.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RussellHltn wrote:I've had it work in the past on the stake machine. Are your XP machines on SP3?
Yes and fully patched. The last attempt was on Tuesday evening.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

Biggles wrote:I've downloaded this software, twice. Each time it fails to execute, other than unpacking, giving an error message something like "unable to process C:\Program....."
Is this a fresh install of Sophos, or are you installing this newer version over an older version? Here are a few suggestions from our Sophos admin:

• Download the file directly to a location (desktop) and double-click to install
• The download temp directory might be corrupted (C:\temp\savint). Delete that directory and re-start the install.
• Uninstall the previous version of Sophos and then try again

Let me know if any of those steps helps.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bfromm wrote:• Uninstall the previous version of Sophos and then try again

One of the challenges with the way the Church has chosen to install Sophos on administrative computers is that uninstalling is not possible with the standard configuration. Sophos doesn't appear in the Add/Remove Programs section of the Windows Control Panel, nor was a separate uninstaller provided. To date, we have been cautious about discussing ways to uninstall it on this forum, thinking that if the Church didn't provide an uninstaller, then they probably don't want us discussing ways to circumvent that security element.

There are currently no instructions as to how to uninstall Sophos provided by the Church for clerk PCs. If you are authorized to open a public discussion of how to do that, then I'm sure others here would be willing to participate.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

bfromm wrote:Is this a fresh install of Sophos, or are you installing this newer version over an older version? Here are a few suggestions from our Sophos admin:

• Download the file directly to a location (desktop) and double-click to install
• The download temp directory might be corrupted (C:\temp\savint). Delete that directory and re-start the install.
• Uninstall the previous version of Sophos and then try again

Let me know if any of those steps helps.
This was an attempt to upgrade from the previous version.

The original download was done on a totally different computer and transferred using a memory stick on to the desktop of both computers. This was the first attempt.

Second attempt the file was downloaded directly to one of the computers I was trying to update.

Since my efforts to install the newer version. One computer updated automatically, successfully, but the second has a permanent error X, on the task bar icon.

I hadn't considered uninstalling the original, but it appears from aebrowns post this is not a straightforward task. My next visit to the meeting house isn't until Sunday, so I will consider that as a possibility.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

Biggles, let me know how things go on Sunday. If you happen to be there on a day the GSC is open, you can call in and have them troubleshoot it with you. That would be preferred so we can find the issue and document it. We will also be posting a slightly updated version of Sophos sometime soon. I can get you a link to test it if you want. Just send me a private message and I'll get a link.

Return to “Clerk Computers”