Older TVs and computers

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
BoneMD

Older TVs and computers

Post by BoneMD »

How do you connect an older TV to a computer? No USB plug...analog vs digital....
Is there a device that can connect the two? Please, keep the answers simple; new territory for me.

Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What exactly are you trying to do? An older TV doesn't have the resolution to be a computer monitor. You could show a video (but there's better ways to do that), or you should show a PowerPoint presentation. But it won't be sharp enough for normal computer functions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

There are several devices on the market that will scan convert from VGA resolutions down for an "old school" TV to display. For example, THIS is one such device from Amazon. (The link is just for reference. I've not used it myself.) This particular unit can handle up to 1024x768 on the VGA end. It assumes your TV at least has RCA or S-Video input jacks.

As Russell said, it will probably work for showing videos, or maybe even displaying a webcast from another building to show in an overflow area.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”