My Sunbeam class is full of adults

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
cougs

My Sunbeam class is full of adults

Post by cougs »

I have no idea how this happened but somehow our Sunbeam class is full of about 150 adults in MLS. I don't see an option to remove individuals from a class. I can delete the class but MLS just forces me to put all of those 150 adults in a different class. Any tips how to get out of this mess?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cougs wrote:I have no idea how this happened but somehow our Sunbeam class is full of about 150 adults in MLS. I don't see an option to remove individuals from a class. I can delete the class but MLS just forces me to put all of those 150 adults in a different class. Any tips how to get out of this mess?
First of all, your Sunbeam class must not be the default class that came with MLS. Someone must have created another one along the way. The created class must not have been given the proper membership rules. When you add a class, you can specify the minimum and maximum ages, the sex, and the priesthood office(s) (but that last one's irrelevant for Primary classes). For Sunbeams, the minimum age should be 3, the maximum is 4, and the sex is male or female. I'm guessing that the class was created with no maximum age, and so every ward member would match the rules and thus be put in the class (the rules are evaluated at a few distinct times, the most common being when someone moves into the ward).

If you remove individual members from the class (by going to Organizations > Primary > Class Members, then scrolling down to the Sunbeam class, and clicking the "Remove" link by each member that should not be in the class), MLS does not force you to put anyone you remove from a class into a different class. You can simply leave the "destination organization" field blank. That's one way to clean up the class.

The other method is easier, but far more drastic. At the very bottom of the Organizations > Primary screen (you'll probably have to scroll to get there) is a link labeled "Reset Classes". That will remove all split classes, any other classes you added by hand, and reset the rules for all classes to the default values, and reset the list of members of each class according to those default rules. If you don't have any split classes or custom classes in the Primary, then you can probably do this, but be very careful about choosing this option.

If you can't use the "Reset Classes" option, then your best bet is to remove the incorrect members from the current Sunbeam class (yes, that will be tedious for 150 adults), create a new Sunbeam class with the correct rules, then delete the current Sunbeam class, transferring its remaining members to the new Sunbeam class.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”