Creating a Child of Record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kalnius

Creating a Child of Record

Post by kalnius »

I have a situation where a family in teh ward has a 6 year old child who is not on their record. As it turns out, the child was blessed and they have the certificate for it, but apparently, this was not entered into MLS at the time.

What do I do? Do I enter in the date of the blessing and create the record (date was from 2005)?
BKO
Stake Executive Secretary
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What ward was the child blessed in? If not your ward, I'd do a record request. If the child was blessed in another ward, they might have created the record, but then were left with no way to get it "home".

Only after you've come up empty with a record request, then I'd create a record for the child.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

Thanks - Russell. The child was blessed in my ward. There is a certificate with all the information. I suppose I then create the record from that.
BKO
Stake Executive Secretary
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Actually MLS has a form you can print-off that the parents sign as accurate information for the baby. I don't recall the exact section in MLS off hand. The blessing is not actually recorded on Church records. MLS just has a certificate creator for convenience.

Additionally it isn't required that the child has a record unless the parents want one. In addition a blessing doesn't have to be done to create a child of record either. It is up to the parents.

See the Wiki for more helpful info: http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Recording_ordinances

Return to “Membership Help”