Splitting a donation after divorce

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
athalersr

Splitting a donation after divorce

Post by athalersr »

Is there a way in MLS to split a donation in 2011 between a now-divorced husband and wife? They submitted two checks, one for his tithing and one for hers, but it was combined onto one tithing slip and went into MLS as one donation under one name. For tax purposes, they would like to have their official donor statements for 2011 reflect the proper amounts for each of them for that donation. MLS doesn't seem to let me split that donation in any way.

Is there a way to do this, or do I need to call church headquarters? Will they be able to split the donation either?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I haven't tried to do that kind of split since the change to CUBS, but it used to be possible by editing the donation and clicking the New Slip button, adjusting the amounts on the old slip to be the correct amount for that donor, and putting the remaining amount on the new slip for the other donor.

But even if you can't do it yourself, I'm sure that Local Unit Support can make such a change. You are simply trying to make the donation record in MLS match the donation that was actually made with two separate checks by two separate donors.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I'm not an expert on how divorce affects taxes, but it seems to me that your responsibility is to make sure that the donation record in the computer matches what was submitted on the white donation slip. It sounds like the computer is already correct. I don't see why you need to go back and "change history" when your hard-copy paper trail is already accurate. If they are trying to sort out their finances after-the-fact then isn't that their responsibility?

EDIT: I obviously don't know any of the people involved in this case so please don't think I'm making any accusations but...

WHAT IF only one of the ex-spouses is asking for this change without the other one knowing? What if this change could affect the outcome of legal proceedings regarding divorce or custody issues? I urge extreme caution when receiving requests like this.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”