Instructor Field

Beta Lesson Schedules Website feedback
kirtkennedy

Instructor Field

Post by kirtkennedy »

I agree. I tried to "add class". Not able to save. Don't see an "activate" box. Nothing shows up.
Some suggestions on the "add class" screen.:
1. Instructor field only allows (1) name. What about classes such as "Marriage and Family Relations" where we have a husband and wife team teach.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Moderator note: This thread has been moved from the "New post: New Lesson Schedules Application Now in Beta."to comply with instructions to provide feedback in separate threads of the Beta Lesson Schedules forum. The original post has been split into three threads for each of the issues reported.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jwinkel

Post by jwinkel »

In addition to this - we have different instructors for different weeks. I can see how we could have a "Teachings of the Prophets" class and "Teachings For Our Times" class with the weeks marked as 2nd-3rd and 4th respectively, but would we have to create two "Teachings of the Prophets" classes if we had two instructors for it? Sometimes there are different assignments for the first Sunday lesson as well. Would that have to be reassigned manually?
mohhess

Post by mohhess »

As a member of a ward Sunday School Presidency, I would agree with the two comments above. If there is a teacher option, there needs to be more flexibility with it. One other thing that I would add to making it possible to have multiple teachers, is it would be nice to be able to have the system set a teacher as the teacher every other week or however the individual ward does it.
carlwood

Instructor Field

Post by carlwood »

I did find that the instructor field does support free-form name entry - you do not have to select from the member list. As SS Pres in our ward, we keep the 14-Adult classes on the same lesson schedule, so I simply entered 'multiple' for the instructor name.

At the same time, my concern is that the FULL name of the members is shown. Not the preferred names from the directory. This can often be very confusing - particularly when the name a person goes by is not one of their given names.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

I agree with the original poster. It would be nice to add more than one instructor for team-teaching classes (where both instructors teach on the same Sunday).
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

carlwood wrote:I did find that the instructor field does support free-form name entry - you do not have to select from the member list.
Be aware entering a "free-form" instructor, such as "multiple," would not allow the system to recognize that instructor, and would limit the instructors abilities within the system. For example, the help says that "Instructors can edit the lessons for classes they teach. " While it may not have any adverse effects in your youth Sunday School example, you should be aware of such a limitation if you use "free-form" name entry in another situation where you would like the instructor to have those (and perhaps future unknown) abilities.
cbarnum

Post by cbarnum »

I agree with the other posts, in that it would be nice to have an option to add more than one instructor. Also, when selecting the name of the instructor it was giving me their full legal name, however, when viewing the details after saving it is showing their preferred name. Can it be setup to show the preferred name when selecting the instructor?
ggconrad

Post by ggconrad »

I concur. I would (also) recommend the following features:
  • Ability to enter in multiple instructors for a class (overall)
    • Example: Teacher A, Teacher B, Teacher C, etc.
  • Ability to create recurring instructor schedule
    • Example: Teacher A teaches every 1st and 3rd Sunday, Teacher B teaches 2nd and 4th Sundays, Teacher C teaches 5th Sunday, etc.
  • Ability to enter in multiple instructors for single lesson
    • Example: Teachers A and B take turns teaching parts of each lesson
  • Ability to create recurring instructor schedule for co-instructors
    • Example: Teachers A and B teach every 1st Sunday, Teachers C and D teach every 2nd Sunday, etc.
ggconrad

Post by ggconrad »

I'm from a small singles ward and, as such, some of our instructors are out-of-unit members (members of the Bishopric and their wives). It would, therefore, be very helpful and much-appreciated if there was some way to add an out-of-unit instructor to classes.

Return to “Beta Lesson Schedules”