WiFi project so far

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
aclawson

WiFi project so far

Post by aclawson »

(Somebody mentioned tonight that this stake center has the largest footprint of any unit building in the world. While I can not vouch for this claim it would not surprise me in the slightest.)

The installation is slow going - the kind people from FM are bringing the wires to install a 2nd switch halfway through the building as with all of the jigs and jogs from the internet demarc point to where is needs to go is closer to 800' than not so signal degradation is a concern.

The attached file is a heatmap (great utility!) showing the roughed-in location of the new cisco wifi APs. Signal coverage isn't the best but considering that the APs were simply sitting on a desk surface rather than actually mounted on the ceiling several feet higher I think we'll be ok.

I'll be back a few more times of course, and I'll do some rough placement of a couple more APs to try and light up the entire building with green. I'm tempted to place an AP on one of the platforms in the steeple just to see what happens - that extra 50-60' of elevation might do wonders for the chapel and cultural hall, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.
Attachments
stake_center_wifi_map 1-29-12.jpg
stake_center_wifi_map 1-29-12.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 561 times
aclawson

Roughed in WiFi, take 2

Post by aclawson »

Here is my 2nd attempt at roughing in the WiFi - this time I placed a single WAP in the furnace room of all places which is on the 2nd floor, concrete floor and filled with a half dozen massive furnaces and all of the ductwork. I wasn't expecting the coverage to be this good, but with a single WAP I am now at > 95% coverage of the building. (Wireless N rocks!) To make things even niftier the power injector means I didn't even have to run an extension cord.

This heatmap is generated with the WAP sitting directly on the concrete floor and "upside down" - I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when I can get some help to stick it to the ceiling some 15 feet higher up and flip it over.
stake_center_wifi_map 2-2-12.jpg
stake_center_wifi_map 2-2-12.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 529 times
TravisGraham

Post by TravisGraham »

Very cool.
I just checked out that Ekahau Heatmap software and am downloading now. Great timing, because I am getting ready to deploy the new wireless AP's thruout all of our Stakes buildings. That is, if they ever arrive!

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”