can i delete a lds.org login account?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
markverdera

can i delete a lds.org login account?

Post by markverdera »

one question in my mind, if I create an account before based on my MRN can I delete my login information also.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

angelfly wrote:one question in my mind, if I create an account before based on my MRN can I delete my login information also.
No, you cannot. However, the support team for LDS Account can do this if needed.

But before you request that, what is it you really want? Do you really want to no longer have an LDS Account at all, or is there something about your existing account that you would like to change? You can change almost everything about your LDS Account by signing in to ldsaccount.lds.org and making changes. The one thing you can't change is your actual user name, and again, the LDS Account support team can make that change for you if there is a really good reason.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:The one thing you can't change is your actual user name,

I know that WAS true, but it appears one can change it. I know I've fixed up forum members who changed their names.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I know that WAS true, but it appears one can change it. I know I've fixed up forum members who changed their names.
Thanks for the correction. It is true that certain people can't change their LDS Account user names (Church employees and certain Church Service Missionaries), so that's what led me to make the incorrect statement. But most members can indeed change their LDS Account user names.

So there is even less reason why anyone would need to delete their LDS Account -- just edit it and adjust it to have whatever settings you want.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
MerrillDL

Post by MerrillDL »

aebrown wrote:Thanks for the correction. It is true that certain people can't change their LDS Account user names (Church employees and certain Church Service Missionaries), so that's what led me to make the incorrect statement. But most members can indeed change their LDS Account user names.

So there is even less reason why anyone would need to delete their LDS Account -- just edit it and adjust it to have whatever settings you want.

I am unable to come up with a good reason why someone would want to delete their LDS Account (except when they have created a 2nd account without realizing they already had one).

Every LDS Account which has an MRN linked to it can be recovered by the member. If no MRN is linked, the member must know the primary email address for the account. If that is not known, the only way to recover the account is to call the GSC.

As for deleting LDS Accounts, one must be careful to not request an account be deleted which was used for FamilySearch Indexing. Deleting the LDS Account will orphan these records and there is be no way to associate them with the correct person who did the work.

LDS Accounts which cannot be renamed by the owner are LDS Accounts which have been enabled to access internal Church network resources. These include Church Employees, Church Service Missionaries, and some non-proselyting missionary or volunteer positions. Most everyone else can rename their LDS Account username by logging in to the LDS Account Profile Manager website at ldsaccount.lds.org, and select 'Edit', on Profile Information.
ostriches98

Re: can i delete a lds.org login account?

Post by ostriches98 »

Instead of deleting my account, is there any way that I can transfer my Membership Record Number to another LDS account I created? I made one when I was younger and I forgot I made it. I use the account I have now for familysearch.org and I can't collect temple names or let my stake keep track of my indexing since my MRN is in another account. Is it possible to switch or do I need to delete my previous account?
eblood66

Re: can i delete a lds.org login account?

Post by eblood66 »

ostriches98 wrote:Instead of deleting my account, is there any way that I can transfer my Membership Record Number to another LDS account I created? I made one when I was younger and I forgot I made it. I use the account I have now for familysearch.org and I can't collect temple names or let my stake keep track of my indexing since my MRN is in another account. Is it possible to switch or do I need to delete my previous account?
I would contact LDS Account Support and see what they suggest.

Return to “Church Account”