use and retention of MLS printouts

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
opee

use and retention of MLS printouts

Post by opee »

Does anyone know what the proper procedure is for keeping/disposing of MLS printouts that are common, like "Member Transaction Report", "Financial Transaction Report", summary from member transactions, etc.?

The Use and Retention form that shows what to keep and throw away does not specifically talk about MLS reports.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I can just tell you the mission rules which was a 10-year retention for those transmission reports but that was Brasil. I think here in the USA it is 5-years.

Can never go wrong with keeping them around as long as you have space.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Can never go wrong with keeping them around as long as you have space.
And keep them secure. I think for financial transactions, it's 3 years plus current year. But that should be spelled out somewhere.

I think in reality they get cleaned out when the newly called ward "cleans house". :o
JoshuaK-p40

Post by JoshuaK-p40 »

When I called clerk support about this they told me that all Financial records/reports are to be kept for 3 years plus the current year for the U.S. and 5 years plus the current year for Canada. Membership records/reports are to be kept for as long as the member is in the ward and as long as they are needed. You would dispose of them by destroying/shredding them.
opee

Post by opee »

JoshuaK wrote:When I called clerk support about this they told me that all Financial records/reports are to be kept for 3 years plus the current year for the U.S. and 5 years plus the current year for Canada. Membership records/reports are to be kept for as long as the member is in the ward and as long as they are needed. You would dispose of them by destroying/shredding them.

Does the "all Financial Records/Reports" include the printouts from MLS when transactions are made to SLC?

Do the reports that you have the option of printing for membership transactions count too?
Skyhawk-p40

Post by Skyhawk-p40 »

opee wrote:Does the "all Financial Records/Reports" include the printouts from MLS when transactions are made to SLC?

Do the reports that you have the option of printing for membership transactions count too?
Question 1 - Yes. They can be kept for auditing purposes, to verify that the transmission was successful.

Question 2 - Refer to JoshuaK's response (as long as the member is in the ward, and/or as long as they are needed). For further instruction on this one, see the Handbook of Instructions on record keeping and consult with the bishop, since he is the one that has stewardship over the membership records.

Hope that helps!
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

When I was trying to find the answer to this very question, I came across a wonderful document that can be downloaded directly from the Distribution Services site. It's called "Use and Retention of Records and Reports-2006". I'm sure it is still valid because there is no other document that says "2007", nor does it say it is only valid for 2006. You can also order printed copies from Distibution Services, and I think it's in the catalog.

It says it is for wards and branches in the United States, so I don't know if there are resources for our brethren in the rest of the world.
jkarras-p40

Post by jkarras-p40 »

The document SR Ward Clerk is referencing is shipped in the curriculum order automatically. So you should have recieved 3 of them if I remember correctly from my order.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

jkarras wrote:The document SR Ward Clerk is referencing is shipped in the curriculum order automatically. So you should have recieved 3 of them if I remember correctly from my order.

I didn't even realize they were shipped automatically with the curriculum. I thought I had ordered them. :o Thanks!
jkarras-p40

Post by jkarras-p40 »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:I didn't even realize they were shipped automatically with the curriculum. I thought I had ordered them. :o Thanks!
Yea I think last year it told you what to type into the boxes. This year I think they were prefilled in so everyone just got them.

Return to “Reports and Forms”