Scripture Study and Web 2.0

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
tazamin

Scripture Study and Web 2.0

Post by tazamin »

So first of all I am very grateful for all the advances with the only scriptures and the new releases for scriptures on Apps for most smartphones. Honestly this was something I dreamed would come about some day and that day is here. However, reality is still missing a few details of my dream.

The first thing I would love to see in addition to the current online scriptures is additional footnotes. AKA I love the ones that are there, but we no longer really have to worry about margins and fitting the typeset on a page. In other words I would love to see additional links or footnotes to the words of the living prophets and apostles. Since the 200 years since the restoration there has been prophetic insights given into just about every single scripture in the standard works. I would love to be able to have the option of having and added layer of study tools that enables me to study a scripture more deeply with the insights of modern revelators.

The second thing I would love to see is a step towards Web 2.0 or interactivity with close friends and family. In other words what I am asking for is in a sense a very limited or closed group, invite only, format of shared markings between close friends and family. In other words I would like something where I can not only spend 6 months studying a single topic and marking it and recording some personal insights, but I want to be able to choose to open that up and share it with my parents back home or siblings living across the states and even to my future children. I understand you would have to be very careful with something like this and not make it open to the world like another form of Facebook or myspace, but it would be great to have a form of tight-nit interaction with close friends on a very spiritual level.

I hope that in the next few years I can look back and see the rest of my dream fully brought to pass, just as the first part has.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tazamin wrote:I would love to see additional links or footnotes to the words of the living prophets and apostles. Since the 200 years since the restoration there has been prophetic insights given into just about every single scripture in the standard works. I would love to be able to have the option of having and added layer of study tools that enables me to study a scripture more deeply with the insights of modern revelators.

I know that it's not exactly what you are looking for, but I think you would enjoy the tools that are at scriptures.byu.edu -- that does a lot of the cross-referencing of scriptures to conference talks, various books, and other sources for the words of modern-day apostles and prophets.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jerrobertson

Post by jerrobertson »

+1 (I would love to see this as well)
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

aebrown wrote:I know that it's not exactly what you are looking for, but I think you would enjoy the tools that are at scriptures.byu.edu -- that does a lot of the cross-referencing of scriptures to conference talks, various books, and other sources for the words of modern-day apostles and prophets.

The LDS Scripture Citation index that aebrown is referring to is also available as an iPad/iPhone and Android app. Just search for 'LDS Scripture Citation Index' in the respective app store.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”