Ward website administrator change

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
arbiggs

Ward website administrator change

Post by arbiggs »

I hope this is the right place to post this question.

Our Ward Website Admin moved to another ward in the US, but still is getting emails to authorize adding new events to the Ward calendar.
Not sure if this significant, but our Ward is in Canada.

We have called and assigned a new Administrator in the MLS system, but the previous Administrator is still getting the event authorization emails.

We have looked for options to fix this, but it seems to be outside our ability to resolve.
Could this be a bug in the system?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Based on your description, it appears you are describing the classic LUWS. (Because of this, I moved the thread to the appropriate area.) However, I thought that classic was no longer allowing new events as part of the phase out.

The new admin should be able to go in and set who gets the emails by clicking on "add or change administrators".

The only other explanation I can think of is that ward members are sending the emails directly to him.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I had another thought: The new system will email all the of Bishopric of the ward when a new calendar needs approval. Could they be getting that email?

They may continue to receive emails until the MLS system at each end acknowledges the move and "releases" the person from their old position in the ward. I've heard there can be complications if they end up in "address unknown".

I wouldn't think there would be a problem with a Canada to US move as I think both are handled by CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
arbiggs

Post by arbiggs »

Thanks for responding so quickly. I'll contact the new Admin to see what options they have available.

(The emails are definitively being sent automatically in response to Ward Members adding calendar items to the lds.org Calendar for our Ward. They are not contacting him directly.)

I'll post here if we experience any further complications.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

RussellHltn wrote:I had another thought: The new system will email all the of Bishopric of the ward when a new calendar needs approval. Could they be getting that email?

They may continue to receive emails until the MLS system at each end acknowledges the move and "releases" the person from their old position in the ward. I've heard there can be complications if they end up in "address unknown".

I wouldn't think there would be a problem with a Canada to US move as I think both are handled by CHQ.

If they have moved out (even to address unknown) then CDOL releases them based on the move out information in the membership database at CHQ, so I don't think that is the problem.

If it is the new system, this sounds related to when original "submitter" moves from unit, phone & email continue to update?
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

He needs to be removed as an administrator from the Classic LUWS.

Someone with administrative authority (usually clerks or members of the Bishopric) should:
1. Go to units.lds.org and log in with their LDS Account
2. Click on the "Administrator Options" button on the left side of the screen. (They will then be directed to an administrative screen with a green sidebar).
3. From the "green screen", click "Add or Change Administrators"
4. Click "Ward Administrator." There will then appear a list of administrators for the ward.
5. If the name of the old administrator is still there, click "Delete" by that administrator's name.

That should fix it! The new administrator can be added in the same place.
arbiggs

Post by arbiggs »

Thank you for your suggestion.
I sat with our Ward Clerk and tried to follow your steps.
We logged in to Classic LDS.org and selected the Administration options button in the lower left sidebar of the Ward homepage.
In both cases (Ward Clerk, Exec Sec) we were told that only individuals with Administrator access can proceed.

We're stuck! How can we resolve this?
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

You need to have an existing classic web administrator make the change. You can contact the Stake website administrator and have HIM make the change for you.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

arbiggs wrote:Thank you for your suggestion.
I sat with our Ward Clerk and tried to follow your steps.
We logged in to Classic LDS.org and selected the Administration options button in the lower left sidebar of the Ward homepage.
In both cases (Ward Clerk, Exec Sec) we were told that only individuals with Administrator access can proceed.

We're stuck! How can we resolve this?
Yikes! Seems like those people don't have administrator access. Now you'll have to hunt for someone that does. Within your ward, I would try members of your Bishopric. Within your stake, I would try the Stake Executive Secretary and members of the Stake Presidency. If there is a Stake Website Administrator (that you are aware of), then try him before the other stake officers.

The other thing that might be worth a try, is if you are still in touch with the previous administrator, to see if he/she can log in and remove himself (make sure he adds the new administrator first :)).

Please keep us posted on what happens, so we can help you get this resolved! Best wishes!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the old classic system, the administrator was manually configured. It's not based on callings. The Stake Presidency should know who the stake admin is.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”