Combining Husband and Wife Tax Donation Statements into one single statement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tylerchristensen

Combining Husband and Wife Tax Donation Statements into one single statement

Post by tylerchristensen »

During the process of printing year-end tax statements, one family had the husband's donation statement print out separately than the wife's statement. There were no donations on the wife's statement so the tax statement showed $0.00 doncations. The wife would like her name to appear on the husband's statement but I don't know how to add the wife's statement to the tax statement. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tyler Christensen
tylerc@honeyvillegrain.com
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Follow the process for Update donor records to specify for the husband that the wife's name should appear on his donation statements; you should also update the wife's record to set it to "Hidden" so that it will not appear on pick lists for donor names when you are processing donations in the future.

UPDATE: I have edited the above information to fix an incorrect statement (thanks, JD Lessley!).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:Follow the process for Merging records to merge the wife's record into the husband's, and then follow the process for Update donor records to specify for the husband that the wife's name should appear on his donation statements.
Member records should not be merged for this purpose. Fortunately MLS will not permit merging member records for this purpose. The merge process to which you linked is for those situations where a donor record was created in order to facilitate processing a donation when no member record was available in MLS. Once the member record arrives then the donor record can be merged with the member record.

The instructions at the Update donor records article is not complete in describing how to include a non contributing spouse to a contributing member's donor record printout. To do so the checkbox "Show spouse on donor report" should be checked. Note checking this box will not merge the donor or member records if both spouses have made contributions . It merely adds the name of the spouse to the printed record.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Member records should not be merged for this purpose.

You're entirely correct, of course -- I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that post. I have edited the post so that future readers of this thread will not be misled. Thanks for straightening me out on this point!
jdlessley wrote:The instructions at the Update donor records article is not complete in describing how to include a non contributing spouse to a contributing member's donor record printout.

I have updated the wiki article as well. Thanks for noticing that!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tylerchristensen

Post by tylerchristensen »

Thanks for everyone's help. I was able to do what I needed to do.

Thanks,

Tyler

Return to “Local Unit Finance”