Hymns/Primary Songs as ring tones

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
danpass

Hymns/Primary Songs as ring tones

Post by danpass »

Since my phone supports the use of MP3 files as ring tones, I decided to download some of the church music for this purpose. I use the music only versions (not music & voice) and have assigned various songs to different numbers or groups of numbers. For example, if someone calls from my home number, my ring tone is Love at Home. If someone calls from one of the unit office phones or family history centers in the stake, my ring tone is Called to Serve. My hope is that as I am out and about or working with non-member business clients, that if I receive a phone call and one of these or other melodies play, it could lead to a subsequent discussion about the church. I just started this, so I don't have any results to report, but it does seem like a good idea.

Since many phones don't support MP3 ring tones, I think that a nice addition to the audio/music download portion of Gospel Library would be to have ring tone versions of some of the better known hymns and songs made available in common ring tone formats. If the download page were tagged with keywords like "free ring tones", search engines might even drive more traffic to the sight.

I'm curious to know if anyone considers my use of church music for this purpose as inappropriate. I read the Rights and Usage information and from a legal perspective I don't see a problem. I do consider the music sacred and would not want to offend a fellow member of the church who happened to hear my phone ring.

Thoughts anyone?[url=http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:OpenPopupWindow%28%27/cm/content/popup/0,17639,5081-1,00.html%27,%27width=600,height=475,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes,status=yes,toolbar=no%27%29;]http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:OpenPopupWindow%28%27/cm/content/popup/0,17639,5081-1,00.html%27,%27width=600,height=475,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes,status=yes,toolbar=no%27%29;[/url]
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I think that is a great idea. When I was on my mission, I programmed in the Mission Song onto the assistant's cellphone. hough you had to enter it note by note (and you only got about half the song) the mission president and his wife both loved it and copied it over to their cellphones.

So if anyone knows how to make ringtones they could post them on their site until the church decides to add it as part of the music section.

Also I love to hear hymns on another person's phone instead of the standard beeping. It would make test taking a lot more enjoyalbe when that one person forgot to turn off their cell phone.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

danpass wrote: I'm curious to know if anyone considers my use of church music for this purpose as inappropriate. I read the Rights and Usage information and from a legal perspective I don't see a problem. I do consider the music sacred and would not want to offend a fellow member of the church who happened to hear my phone ring.

Thoughts anyone?
Wonderful idea!

Tom
melind-p40

ring tones

Post by melind-p40 »

once, a long time ago, I was able to put book of mormon stories on my cell as a ring tone. I thought I had just used the lds.org site to do so. I can't seem to figure out how to do it again? any advice? mk
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

As I understand it, there are commercial ringtone creation software packages out there, I'm not sure which ones would work to create non-mp3 ringtones, but they can be found at the major big-box computer retailers and many smaller places, as well as online.

Another idea, why not also make ringtones of parts of the Seminary media kit songs (the mp3 versions of the full songs are already on lds.org and ldsces.org) and make those available as ringtones as well. And from some of the other music the Church has produced also that has and will yet be added to lds.org.
Eric Werny-p40

Ring Tones

Post by Eric Werny-p40 »

I can see the next versions of phones being sold out of Deseret Book. Ring Tone 1 - Did you get your home teaching done. Hit number #2 - Did you do your duty with a heart full of song.

And the all time hit ---- One liners from the President --- Just in time for Christmas -- Brother and Sisters did you stay out of debt.

And all time torture favorite.... Sherri Dew telling you to get your act together

I love that Sister. Sister Dew is fantastic.

Merry Christmas Everyone
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

danpass wrote:Thoughts anyone?

Do we really want to turn sacred hymns into annoying cell phone jingles?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

AdrianLP wrote:Do we really want to turn sacred hymns into annoying cell phone jingles?
As long as it's not a cheesy rendition of it (like a MIDI or something) and is instead a good quality recording. I actually think it would be much more pleasant than the ring tones many have now.

My brother-in-law has a portion of Lex de Azevedo's Praise to the Man (ya know, the one with the bag pipes). It's awesome.
webmired-p40

Post by webmired-p40 »

audacity (linux/windows - free) can make them, just not automatically.. if you have the mp3 just load it up, cut out a 30 second chunk (or 15 or whatever time you want) and then fade the ends. i don't have it installed at the moment, but if someone asks for screen shots i'll put them together and a quick tutorial if needed.

i wonder if there's any balkan/gypsy versions of hymns (i've gotten into this beirut lately and love the style)...
Jon
The joys of data loss!
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

webmired wrote:but if someone asks for screen shots i'll put them together and a quick tutorial if needed.
Screenshots: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/screenshots

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”