RS-422 to serial (or ethernet)

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
aclawson

RS-422 to serial (or ethernet)

Post by aclawson »

Has anybody found a source for an RS-422 to serial or ethernet adapter to control the D70 camera remotely?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:Has anybody found a source for an RS-422 to serial or ethernet adapter to control the D70 camera remotely?
This post was made by someone who said he had ordered an adapter.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:Has anybody found a source for an RS-422 to serial or ethernet adapter to control the D70 camera remotely?
While I haven't used these with the Sony camera (yet), I have used them to control some RS-422/RS-485 equipment in my workshop at home. They do the job just fine. EBAY LINK.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Wouldn't it be cool if the Webcast Communicator software incorporated the VISCA remote control signals for the EVI-D70? Imagine Webcasting with presets and camera control on the same PC. Then add some camera mixing/switching control for multiple camera inputs, add over-lay for graphics and already pre-loaded hymns (along with the current .jpg display capabilities). And finally, a way to program a shot-list. Then we could concentrate on the talks because all we would need to do during Stake Conference would be click-click-click.

I know it's all possible right now, all we need are a couple (dozen) programmers with nothing else to do...
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

michaelfish wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if the Webcast Communicator software incorporated the VISCA remote control signals for the EVI-D70? Imagine Webcasting with presets and camera control on the same PC. Then add some camera mixing/switching control for multiple camera inputs, add over-lay for graphics and already pre-loaded hymns (along with the current .jpg display capabilities). And finally, a way to program a shot-list. Then we could concentrate on the talks because all we would need to do during Stake Conference would be click-click-click.

I know it's all possible right now, all we need are a couple (dozen) programmers with nothing else to do...
I purchased an EVI-D70 and I'm using the RS-232 connection. It comes out from the RS-232 connection and I have it running over ethernet cable to the workstation. It works fine.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

harddrive wrote:I purchased an EVI-D70 and I'm using the RS-232 connection. It comes out from the RS-232 connection and I have it running over ethernet cable to the workstation. It works fine.

Which cables/adapters did you use? I found the VISCA out cables - did you use a VICSA -> 9 pin serial -> ethernet -> 9 pin serial?
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

aclawson wrote:Which cables/adapters did you use? I found the VISCA out cables - did you use a VICSA -> 9 pin serial -> ethernet -> 9 pin serial?

I purchased my from Videobotics and I am using the VISCA cable, but mine was set up so that I could go right into an ethernet port. Then like you said, it goes from ethernet to serial to my computer. I don't know where he gets the cable from, but it makes it much nicer to not have to worry about another connection.
aclawson

VISCA to db9 over cat5 - looks promising

Post by aclawson »

For remote control of the Sony EVI-D70 cameras, I just found the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0528586625

This appears to have the following components:

1. 12' cable, VISCA male to RJ45 male. The VISCA is the round cable port on the back of the camera used to control the device. The camera has VICSA IN and OUT ports so you can daisy chain multiple cameras.

2. F/F RJ45 coupler - useful if you need to join two lengths of crimped RJ45 lines.

3. RJ45 F to DB9 9 pin serial adapter.

In a perfect world this will let you remotely control the camera from a PC with the appropriate software across cat5/6 cable up to several hundred feet away. In said perfect world you will also be able to use a serial/usb connector at the computer end for those laptops (all of them it seems these days) that have no serial port.

For $31.change (including shipping) I'm willing to give this a try.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

aclawson wrote:For remote control of the Sony EVI-D70 cameras, I just found the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0528586625

This appears to have the following components:

1. 12' cable, VISCA male to RJ45 male. The VISCA is the round cable port on the back of the camera used to control the device. The camera has VICSA IN and OUT ports so you can daisy chain multiple cameras.

2. F/F RJ45 coupler - useful if you need to join two lengths of crimped RJ45 lines.

3. RJ45 F to DB9 9 pin serial adapter.

In a perfect world this will let you remotely control the camera from a PC with the appropriate software across cat5/6 cable up to several hundred feet away. In said perfect world you will also be able to use a serial/usb connector at the computer end for those laptops (all of them it seems these days) that have no serial port.

For $31.change (including shipping) I'm willing to give this a try.
Sounds like a plan. My run is in the neighborhood of 100' and it worked like a champ. So good luck.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Has anyone gotten RS-422 VISCA protocol to work with computer remote-control software?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”