Power conditioner needed in satellite closet?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
sammythesm

Power conditioner needed in satellite closet?

Post by sammythesm »

Quick question on satellite closet. I'm in the process of cleaning up ours. It looks like one of those systems that was always added onto and never streamlined or taken away from.

My question is specifically about a power unit that is in there that I think is a power "conditioner". Sorry if I'm using the wrong term here, but the purpose of the unit is to bring up or bring down the power so it's at just the precise 110v. I see two sets of LEDs on the front which show whether the incoming power is coming in under power or over power, and another set which shows the output voltage (whether its under or over - it stays in the dead center at 110v).

This unit is placed downstream of a regular surge protector. The only units attached to this device are my two gray satellite receivers. They are attached using AC to DC power transformers.

My question is: is this power conditioner necessary to protect the receivers or is it just wasting space? My thinking is that the surge protector is the first line of defense in case of a power surge. If it doesn't do its job then at worst the AC to DC power transformer would blow before it caused any harm to the satellite receivers.

The transformers themselves are able to handle small fluctuations in current without issue - the DC out remains steady - so I don't need to worry about the current being slightly under 110v either.

I personally don't see the use for this. It isn't one of the nice, compact rackmount power conditioners... it's a big bulky box with one input cord and one output cord that is sitting in the back of the rack preventing it from closing all the way.

Anyone want to try to convince me to keep it?
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I recommend keeping and using the power conditioner. Yes it takes a little more space, but it is valuable protection.

Surge protectors do not provide the same protection as power conditioner. They actually filter the power from electricity voltage spikes and drops, whereas a surge protectors act more like a circuit breaker. With thousands of appliances turning on and off in your area, the electricity supplied to the outlet is NOT clean and stable. The zillions of spikes and drops take a toll on electronics and the instantaneous spikes and drops constantly pound our microprocessors.

I think of power conditioners as spark suppressors and surge protectors as protection only for lightning strikes.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I doubt if that's part of the standard equipment. I usually see devices like that for audio racks used in portable sound systems. In this situation, I'd think a UPS would be more useful.

Unless this location is subject to brownouts or voltage dips, I'm not sure as it's doing much good.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The unit sounds like it is a combination UPS and power conditioner. Since everything in the satellite cabinet is the responsibility of the FM, any discussions here are just that. The FM office most likely installed the device to protect the receivers from the electrical grid issues for the area. The FM office is the only one authorized to change any configuration or hardware. Consult with them to see if the device is no longer needed. If it is not they will remove it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

I can say with certainty it's not a UPS.

I'll try to keep it. Someone invested in it for a reason, I guess. It's just an odd size for a rack - about the size and shape of a lunch box. I think I'll prioritize being able to close/lock the door over keeping it. None of the other satellite cabinets in our stake have one of these types of power units.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

RussellHltn wrote:I doubt if that's part of the standard equipment.
There is one of these installed in our Stake Center...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sammythesm wrote:Anyone want to try to convince me to keep it?

It is probably there because the power in your area is not dependable and the FM group had to replace the receiver too many times. That is why we have ours. It also keeps us from having to reboot the receiver every time we want to use it.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”