PLEASE RETIRE the CLASSIC LUWS ALREADY!!!

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
bergwax

PLEASE RETIRE the CLASSIC LUWS ALREADY!!!

Post by bergwax »

Sorry if that came across too brash... but seriously, DELETE IT ALREADY!

I know to most of us techies it is not confusing having multiple locations for a calendar, directory, list of callings, etc... However, not everyone is techie - in fact, most aren't and get confused by simply being required to login to a website (I'm not advocating to remove the individual login).

Suggestion:

Implement interim "beta" (or even alpha) versions of the features keeping classic online into the new LUWS.

Instead of perfecting the "lesson schedule" feature or "Ward News and Information", etc ... please just include the basic functionality into the new site. These are SIMPLE FEATURES TO IMPLEMENT!! Sure, adding EVERY suggestion adds complexity but please just start with the simple featureS... spend 20% of your time to get it 80% complete, then add the bells and whistles. If I had time to contribute... I would.

Once more, I know I'm one to talk because I'm playing sideline quarterback but having two interfaces for two years just get plain old.

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Currently, the stake web master has the ability to redirect the Classic directory and calendar portions to point to the new ones.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bergwax wrote:Suggestion:

Implement interim "beta" (or even alpha) versions of the features keeping classic online into the new LUWS.
The site does not exist yet. Also how the features of the classic site will be tied together may not have been worked out yet. Suggesting the new LUWS will have any similarity to the classic is making an assumption that may not be correct. The features of the classic site may have entirely different interfaces and functionality yet providing some of the same information.
bergwax wrote:Instead of perfecting the "lesson schedule" feature or "Ward News and Information", etc ... please just include the basic functionality into the new site. These are SIMPLE FEATURES TO IMPLEMENT!!
You are making some assumptions that may not be valid. The plan for the new site may not be as simple as you envision.

The development is being done pieces at a time so that the small number of developers engaged can complete a majority of each module before moving on to the next. The vision of the new LUWS has not been released to the membership. The directory and calendar have taken longer than expected. Until those modules are mature enough the developers tied up in working on them cannot be redirected to the remaining modules.
bergwax wrote:Sure, adding EVERY suggestion adds complexity but please just start with the simple featureS... spend 20% of your time to get it 80% complete, then add the bells and whistles. If I had time to contribute... I would.
Keeping the classic site open is necessary to provide that minimum capability to the membership The LUWS modules are not community projects. The development efforts are done in house.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bergwax

Post by bergwax »

I understand the complexities and difficulties with coding. I also realize that functionality may be different. I know that the calendar system has been setup enabling a simple transfer of events from classic LUWS as well as syncing with personal calendars.

My point is that, despite what others in the tech.lds.org forums say (2 systems is not confusing)... it actually IS for most people.

Also, despite functionality differences and coding issues... a simple temporary solution could be busted out in less than a week if a couple engineers spend a little time putting a very basic system together... specifically for News and Events and Lesson Schedules.

I can see many difficulties in the calendar, directory, meetinghouse systems, etc. Which, I might add... the current new features are great. But... there is some VERY low hanging fruit which with a little effort could actually be brought into the new system without much effort (when compared to the calendar system... which you mentioned has caused some of the delays).

I realize I'm making many assumptions, as I'm not familiar with the new LUWS modules and code for its creation. However, simply looking at the complexity of a list which may be populated with lesson schedules or news/events in comparison to the clerk tools, calendar or member database.... basically, if the Lesson Schedule list thing is even within an order of magnitude of complexity then I would say it is being over-engineered. Take a step back... look at the basics... code in the basic function and then tweak the options and new functions for future revisions.

I know some wards and stakes are creating calendars such as, "Priesthood - Relief Society Lesson Schedule" or "Gospel Doctrine Lesson Schedule"...... REALLY??? C'mon, talk about an awkward work around.

Anyway, once more... my point isn't to criticize the work being done or knock-down the level of effort going into the new mobile and church website features. I just want to voice my opinion about the classic site causing confusion and note that although there may be resource (programmer/engineer) scarcity... there is still a solution (although maybe temporary) which could at least fill the current gaps which have been hanging there for the past couple years.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bergwax wrote:I understand the complexities and difficulties with coding. I also realize that functionality may be different.

I must respectfully disagree. You can't possibly understand the complexities of developing applications for a worldwide church that interface with multiple systems, have to be translated into multiple languages, meet quality standards, are consistent with privacy laws in a variety of jurisdictions, are deployed with architecture and hardware that meets the load demands, etc. -- or you wouldn't make such extremely low estimates of the work involved.
bergwax wrote:My point is that, despite what others in the tech.lds.org forums say (2 systems is not confusing)... it actually IS for most people.

I don't recall anyone saying that "2 systems is not confusing." I think you will find widespread agreement here that it will be far less confusing once the new system is completely in place and the classic site retired.
bergwax wrote:Also, despite functionality differences and coding issues... a simple temporary solution could be busted out in less than a week if a couple engineers spend a little time putting a very basic system together... specifically for News and Events and Lesson Schedules.

Nope. Not even close.
bergwax wrote:Anyway, once more... my point isn't to criticize the work being done or knock-down the level of effort going into the new mobile and church website features. I just want to voice my opinion about the classic site causing confusion and note that although there may be resource (programmer/engineer) scarcity... there is still a solution (although maybe temporary) which could at least fill the current gaps which have been hanging there for the past couple years.

Thank you for voicing your opinion. I completely agree with your point that the classic site causes confusion, and disagree with your approach to addressing that confusion. I trust that the development team product managers are doing their best to meet the needs of the members, given their resources and product requirements.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I have effectively retired the Classic site by ignoring it... It was difficult enough to get people to use it, and adding the new site just complicated things. We have adapted other methods to get around the two items mentioned that are still only available in Classic, lesson schedules and news. Lesson schedules are printed and handed out to members.... I know this is going backwards, but until this feature is integrated into the new site, it is better than trying to get members to use two different sites. As for news, I send out an email newsletter of some sort each week that takes care of this. In fact, with some members aversion to logging onto anything beyond their email, I will probably keep this up after the feature is implemented.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

The classic calendar and directory can be disabled from the stake level. To do this, follow the instructions below. If you are not the stake authority for this, you can forward these instructions to the correct person and ask them to make the change. Then, you only need to direct people to the classic website. When they click on Calendar or Directory from the classic site, they will automatically be directed to the new features instead of looking at the old ones.
To deactivate the classic calendar or directory:
Go to the classic stake and ward website by going to http://units.lds.org.
Sign in with your LDS Account.
On the stake homepage, on the left-hand navigation, click Administrator Options.
Click the green link that says Use New Calendar/Directory.
An options page appears with options to deactivate the classic calendar or directory. Select the following as desired:
Deactivate Classic Calendar
Deactivate Classic Directory
Click Save Changes.

Stake members who navigate to the classic calendar or directory will be redirected to the new calendar or directory.
The other thing I had done, was put the links to all three sites in my bulletin.
Ward Website: http://units.lds.org
New Calendar: http://www.lds.org/church-calendar
New Directory: http://www.lds.org/directory

You can also include these links under the "Resources" section of the classic website.

This is how I've made the transitioning work for our ward. Hopefully you can use one or more of these suggestions! The first one (deactivating the classic calendar and directory) should be especially useful.
ccuppernell

Post by ccuppernell »

Thank you for the great instructions. I will be passing this on to our stake leaders.

Our ward's website has a panel on the right side of the screen that includes Ward News and Information, below which is a section called Ward Events. There is a link there to submit an event for the ward calendar. Despite the announcements and instruction given by me in a ward counsel meeting, I have received 3 submissions for events via this link. I am re-directing them verbally to go to the new calendar site for these events, but I would like to see that link gone completely. Does what you described remove that link, too?

Again, thanks for the tip.

Cyndi
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ccuppernell wrote:Our ward's website has a panel on the right side of the screen that includes Ward News and Information, below which is a section called Ward Events. There is a link there to submit an event for the ward calendar.
Does what you described remove that link, too?

It doesn't remove that link, but if a stake administrator sets the option to use the new Calendar, then all links on the Classic site to the calendar will be redirected to the new Calendar. That includes the links on the right side for submitting events to the ward or stake calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mohhess

Post by mohhess »

Just wondering....does anyone know IF and WHEN the church will implement a new version of Stake/Ward websites? I just checked my ward's site, wow, stuff is way out of date. It would be nice if we could have the option to have a ward website that tied in with the new calendar/directory and one day, lesson scheduler. For now...we use a blog that has links that go to these places (except lessons. For that we have an html table update monthly by me).

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”