ComputerRename Windows Update?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
nathangg

ComputerRename Windows Update?

Post by nathangg »

I saw this windows update today:
computer_rename.jpg
computer_rename.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Does anyone know what this is?

"Size: 177 KB

Local Unit Computer Rename"

Is it okay to run?

Thanks~!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

This looks like the renaming of the computer promised in the thread HQ Correcting MLS Computer Name.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

aebrown wrote:This looks like the renaming of the computer promised in the thread HQ Correcting MLS Computer Name.

Perfecto! Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ok, this should be interesting.

First, I'm a bit disturbed that someone other then Microsoft can add a update. Secondly, I wonder how this will work with the many MLS systems out there that are still on MLS dial-up. Some of them could well be Desktop 5.5 systems which had Updates turned off.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Ok, this should be interesting.

Yes. If they want to update most of ours, they will have to do it the old fashioned way, with batch files downloaded during a Send/Receive.

I keep telling myself that these are their computers, though. And then I remind myself that the last time they tried something like this, we did not transmit for six weeks (because we could not). Checks and balances.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

RussellHltn wrote:Ok, this should be interesting.
First, I'm a bit disturbed that someone other then Microsoft can add a update
Welcome to Enterprise Windows and WSUS :-D
Microsoft made is possible (through WSUS) for an enterprise to choose what patches are downloaded. They also made it possible for enterprise customers to add arbitrary files in that update stream.
For how to point non-domain computers to the Church update server, see: http://kudithipudi.org/2006/08/18/how-t ... sing-wsus/
For how to add an arbitrary file as an update, see: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/l ... %28v9.3%29
RussellHltn wrote:Secondly, I wonder how this will work with the many MLS systems out there that are still on MLS dial-up. Some of them could well be Desktop 5.5 systems which had Updates turned off.
I would think that nothing happens until windows updates are run. However, if they have Sophos installed and updating, it should be possible to force an update through Sophos (I can do that through Kapsersky's enterprise system at work)

Aaron Z
(funny what sticks with you after prepping for a Microsoft cert exam)

Return to “Clerk Computers”