Nonresponsive Calendar Events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
cdsanderson

Nonresponsive Calendar Events

Post by cdsanderson »

I'm a new building scheduler working with a calendar that contains the events of two wards and a YSA stake. At this point, we're on the new calendar but still using a centralized approach to schedule the building.

A quick history related to the problem: I created reservations for four days (two Fridays and two Saturdays) each month for the two wards to block off the time allocated to them. Later, as I worked with the calendar, I found it necessary to also create a corresponding event for each reserved day so that it would be visible on the monthly view of the calendar.

Since this resulted in more work and the reservations served no real purpose in our centralized approach, I deleted the reservations for the four series. The result was that it worked for some events while others became nonresponsive - they could not be edited or deleted when I began to add specificity to the days reserved for each ward.

When I try to edit or delete one of these problem events I get the following error message: "Sorry, data is temporarily not available for the application. Please try again later." This problem has persisted for several days.

Since these nonresponsive events are full day, I have effectively created nearly two dozen days that can't be scheduled on the yearly calendar.

Is there a way for me to make these nonresponsive (orphaned) events responsive so that I can delete them? Or, is there technical support available that can delete them for me?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cdsanderson wrote:When I try to edit or delete one of these problem events I get the following error message: "Sorry, data is temporarily not available for the application. Please try again later." This problem has persisted for several days.

Have you tried right-clicking on these events, then choosing the "Delete Event" (or "Delete this Event only" for repeating events) option? I've found sometimes that this option will work, even when I can't edit the event (which is the first step in the usual path to deleting an event).
cdsanderson wrote:Is there a way for me to make these nonresponsive (orphaned) events responsive so that I can delete them? Or, is there technical support available that can delete them for me?

You can always contact Local Unit Support for assistance.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cdsanderson

Post by cdsanderson »

I've tried all of the delete options you've suggested. None have workded. I'll contact Local Unit Support as you suggest. Thanks.
iswcky

Post by iswcky »

We had similar problems with repeating events created before the 2.0 version of the calendar. The only way we could delete those events was to delete the entire calendar containing those events. Not the most ideal way of dealing with it, especialy if you have a lot of other events in that calendar.
cdsanderson wrote:I'm a new building scheduler working with a calendar that contains the events of two wards and a YSA stake. At this point, we're on the new calendar but still using a centralized approach to schedule the building.

A quick history related to the problem: I created reservations for four days (two Fridays and two Saturdays) each month for the two wards to block off the time allocated to them. Later, as I worked with the calendar, I found it necessary to also create a corresponding event for each reserved day so that it would be visible on the monthly view of the calendar.

Since this resulted in more work and the reservations served no real purpose in our centralized approach, I deleted the reservations for the four series. The result was that it worked for some events while others became nonresponsive - they could not be edited or deleted when I began to add specificity to the days reserved for each ward.

When I try to edit or delete one of these problem events I get the following error message: "Sorry, data is temporarily not available for the application. Please try again later." This problem has persisted for several days.

Since these nonresponsive events are full day, I have effectively created nearly two dozen days that can't be scheduled on the yearly calendar.

Is there a way for me to make these nonresponsive (orphaned) events responsive so that I can delete them? Or, is there technical support available that can delete them for me?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

iswcky wrote:We had similar problems with repeating events created before the 2.0 version of the calendar. The only way we could delete those events was to delete the entire calendar containing those events. Not the most ideal way of dealing with it, especialy if you have a lot of other events in that calendar.

Ouch. Fortunately, it's not that hard to move an event from one calendar to another.

Of course, you could export the events (using the sync) and re-import. While a bit of a hassle, that might make it worth it. (deleting the calendar)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cdsanderson

Post by cdsanderson »

How do I delete a calendar? I've created a new calendar and now need to delete the original calendar with the nonresponding events.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cdsanderson wrote:How do I delete a calendar? I've created a new calendar and now need to delete the original calendar with the nonresponding events.
Go to Settings > Calendars, and click the red x at the end of the row. You have to be an administrator to do this.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cdsanderson

Post by cdsanderson »

I have contacted Local Unit Support for assistance. They informed me that this is a known problem that is being addressed by technical staff. My question is how will we know when this problem has been corrected and it is possible to go to the Reservation Calendar and delete the nonresponding event reservations? Will Community Moderators be able to announce this change?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cdsanderson wrote:Will Community Moderators be able to announce this change?

Only if someone lets us know. Aebrown seems to have some connections.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Only if someone lets us know. Aebrown seems to have some connections.
The bug fix would be released as part of an official release. And the Calendar team has been really good lately about letting us know when a new release comes out. They may not list every single bug fix in the release notes, but you could certainly use the announcement of a new release as a reminder to test the problem again to see if it is fixed.

Return to “Calendar”