Old legacy wireless router just went out....

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
KeithWilson

Old legacy wireless router just went out....

Post by KeithWilson »

I just had a wireless router go down. Now, it's the responsibility of the FM group to purchase any new equipment, right? And are they supposed to just replace the one item, or should I tell him we need the entire building "converted" to the modern age with the new Firewall and Wireless access points? Anyone have this issue? I assume it's going to happen to everyone eventually....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

KeithWilson wrote:I just had a wireless router go down. Now, it's the responsibility of the FM group to purchase any new equipment, right?
Yes, it is the responsibility of the FM group to purchase a new firewall, and the new firewalls are Cisco 881w devices, which function as wireless routers as well as firewalls.
KeithWilson wrote:And are they supposed to just replace the one item, or should I tell him we need the entire building "converted" to the modern age with the new Firewall and Wireless access points? Anyone have this issue? I assume it's going to happen to everyone eventually....
Their only responsibility is to replace the firewall. You may choose to ask for more wireless access points for more coverage, but that would only be a request. Since this didn't happen within the FM group's annual budget plan, they may or may not have funds for more than just the firewall.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

What is the "legacy wireless router" you are trying to replace? I ask because the only "legacy" devices the church supplied were PIX and ASA devices that did not have integrated wireless. Hopefully this wireless device was downstream from a working PIX, ASA, or 881W router/firewall... otherwise you really need to get a church firewall in place really quickly.

There's nothing wrong with requesting a whole new set up - 881 + 1041 access points (if needed) if you don't have them. Equipment dying is usually a good excuse to make that request. If your FM has the budget, you will likely get it (though I've been waiting for 3 months for APs... not sure if the FM just keeps forgetting to order them or if they really are backordered as they say)
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

"Legacy" is probably not the right word, it's a regular, consumer grade, off the shelf Linksys router purchased at the local WalMart.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

KeithWilson wrote:"Legacy" is probably not the right word, it's a regular, consumer grade, off the shelf Linksys router purchased at the local WalMart.

Presumably used as a WAP, so you should be in line for a new 1041. However, if you were using the router, you may find that you'll run out of IPs with the 1041.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

By router I am assuming the device was only a router and not a wireless router being used as a WAP. If the router was being used in addition to a Church provided Cisco PIX 501, or Cisco ASA 5505, or Cisco 881W to create a subnet then there is little chance to get the FM to replace it. The Church normally only provides one router for a meetinghouse setup. It would be the stake's responsibility to fund the additional router. Installation must be coordinated through the FM Group.

If the router was a wireless router configured to function as a WAP then the STS must coordinate (normally through the PFR) with the FM Group for a new Cisco 1041N.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

Our stake doesn't have any 881 or 1401 devices, and if all units will eventually get them, we might as well start the process now, rather than wait for a firewall to go down. The worst he can say is, "we can't do that".

Yea, we have Church provided firewalls in all our buildings, they are all Cisco ASA 5505, and have only had trouble with one, which had to be rescripted, by the GSC. They told me if it continues to have problems, it would be replaced, but they fixed it.

The Linksys router that went down was used as a switch, and a WAP. We have these in all our buildings, and have never run out of IP addresses. I just requested the FM group replace one builiding at a time, rather than individual components as they die.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

KeithWilson wrote:The Linksys router that went down was used as a switch, and a WAP. We have these in all our buildings, and have never run out of IP addresses.
Probably because you were also using the router. It combined all the wireless users on that device into a single IP. The 1401W doesn't do that. It's strictly a WAP without the switch or the router. You may find that once you change over, that you will run out of IPs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

FM gave me a used router from another building, and told me no replacements until a firewall goes down. At least it's fixed, and now, I get to hurry up and wait for the modern technology.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

If your FM won't spring for the new equipment, talk to you Stk Pres. Inform him that to replace what you had it would cost $50-100. I doubt that will break the Stake budget.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”