Printer-friendly Map mostly doesn't work

Beta testing of maps.lds.org
aebrown
Community Administrator

Printer-friendly Map mostly doesn't work

Post by aebrown »

When I am looking at a map and the left pane is displayed, there is a button at the bottom of the left pane with a printer icon for which the hover text is "Printer-friendly Map". Clicking that button opens a new tab (or browser window) that looks like this:
PrintMap.jpg
PrintMap.jpg (10.43 KiB) Viewed 880 times
There are some things that work:
  • You can click in the "Optional Title" area and type in your desired title
  • You can click in the "Optional Notes" area and type in free-form text
  • You can resize the "Optional Notes" text area
...but even more things that don't work:
  • The Page Setup button does nothing
  • The Text Size dropdown operates just fine, showing options of 50%, 75%, 90%, 100%, 110%, 125%, and 150%. But it has absolutely no effect -- the text size does not change.
  • In the Legend area there is a blue border icon, but the label by it is simply "Selected".
  • Oh, and one more minor detail: there is no map displayed at all.
Tested on Firefox and Chrome
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Much better with IE

Post by aebrown »

I just tried this on Internet Explorer 8 and found that the Printer-friendly Map works much better that it did with Firefox and Chrome. The only thing that is worse (but it may be working according to design) is that the text area for the "Optional Notes" area is not resizable.

But on the plus side:
  • The Page Setup button works, giving options for orientation, paper size, and whether or not the legend or title should be displayed.
  • The Text Size dropdown does affect the text size.
  • In the Legend area by the blue border icon, but there is an additional label "Boundaries".
  • And best of all, the map is actually displayed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote:I just tried this on Internet Explorer 8 and found that the Printer-friendly Map works much better that it did with Firefox and Chrome. The only thing that is worse (but it may be working according to design) is that the text area for the "Optional Notes" area is not resizable.
I believe resizable text areas is a built in feature of Firefox. It does it to any text area. I would guess that it is the same for Chrome, but I haven't tested that.

Return to “Beta Maps”