Calendar Sync, Google Calendar for out-of-unit Stakes

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
david.north

Calendar Sync, Google Calendar for out-of-unit Stakes

Post by david.north »

I am an assistant stake clerk over technology for one of the new YSA stakes. We have an activity calendar set up that we would like to sync to Google Calendar for reference to the 27 traditional stakes within our boundaries.

Setting a sync url that only contains calendar data for the YSA stake activities means I have to unsubscribe to all other calendars.

Is there any way to create a sync URL for a single, specific calendar without changing my settings?

Ideally, a 'headless' user would be nice for this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Unless the developers have a trick they haven't told us, that's not supported at this time.

While I can't find any policy on this, I'd be careful about sharing calendars that might become "public". I doubt if the limited view of the old system, and the inability of anyone to see the new calendar until they log in is a accident.

I'd suggest approaching the Area leaders to see if they can create a calendar for this use. I don't know if they can, but it seems like it should be worth a try.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WoodDA

Calendar Sync, Google Calendar for a specific set of calendars

Post by WoodDA »

I would like to see the ability to generate a Sync URL for any set of calendars, even within a unit. I am the Scoutmaster in my ward and would like to sync only my Deacon's events to my personal Google Calendar, not the entire ward events.

In my case we have a Deacon's calendar, a YM calendar and a combined YM/YW calendar that I would like to combine into a Sync URL. Having said that, if we cannot have a set of calendars, even the ability to sync a single calendar would be a good initial offering.
Darren Wood
Software Engineer
woodda@ldschurch.org
801.240.0667 (w)

Information & Communication Systems
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
50 East North Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84150
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WoodDA wrote:I would like to see the ability to generate a Sync URL for any set of calendars, even within a unit. I am the Scoutmaster in my ward and would like to sync only my Deacon's events to my personal Google Calendar, not the entire ward events.

In my case we have a Deacon's calendar, a YM calendar and a combined YM/YW calendar that I would like to combine into a Sync URL. Having said that, if we cannot have a set of calendars, even the ability to sync a single calendar would be a good initial offering.

You can select what calendars sync via the subscriptions. Can you clarify what you're asking for?

BTW, unless I'm missing something, I don't see help on setting subscriptions. Worse the Syncing with third-party calendars help file gives a misleading impression. The image FileSyncImage3 is wrong.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:You can select what calendars sync via the subscriptions. Can you clarify what you're asking for?

The request is for multiple Sync URLs -- rather than just having one Sync URL for the collection of all calendars a person is subscribed to, there would be some ability to generate a separate Sync URL for any arbitrary collection of calendars (perhaps even a Sync URL for a single calendar). Such a feature would indeed create a lot of flexibility in how people sync calendars to different devices. It would even enable a somewhat crude ability to sync individual calendars to separate Google calendars. I imagine it would create a fair amount of complexity on the back end, but would add some nice capabilities.
RussellHltn wrote:BTW, unless I'm missing something...

Nice fork :)

My responses to the forked content are now in the new thread: Subscription documentation?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:The request is for multiple Sync URLs -- rather than just having one Sync URL for the collection of all calendars a person is subscribed to,
I read it several times, but it wasn't clear to me that's what's being asked for. The only thing I could be sure of is the desire to select what calendars go into the sync. We have that right now. The desire to have more then one sync URL was a possible interpretation given the two situations, but I wasn't sure. That's why I asked for the clarification.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Nice fork :)
Thank you. It's now it's own thread: Subscription documentation?

WoodDA

Post by WoodDA »

Syncing with third-party calendars says, "Note: When you sync your LDS calendar to a third-party calendar, all your calendars sync, even if you leave some of the check boxes unselected. It is not possible to sync only a subset of your calendars. The only way to sync a subset of calendars is to permanently unsubscribe from the calendars you don't want to sync."

I don't want to have to "permanently unsubscribe" from my Ward Calendar. I still want it available online, but only want to sync my Deacon's events to my Google Calendar.

aebrown restated it correctly:
aebrown wrote:The request is for multiple Sync URLs -- rather than just having one Sync URL for the collection of all calendars a person is subscribed to, there would be some ability to generate a separate Sync URL for any arbitrary collection of calendars (perhaps even a Sync URL for a single calendar). Such a feature would indeed create a lot of flexibility in how people sync calendars to different devices. It would even enable a somewhat crude ability to sync individual calendars to separate Google calendars. I imagine it would create a fair amount of complexity on the back end, but would add some nice capabilities.
Darren Wood
Software Engineer
woodda@ldschurch.org
801.240.0667 (w)

Information & Communication Systems
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
50 East North Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84150
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

WoodDA wrote:[url=http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Syncing_with_t ... _calendars]I don't want to have to "permanently unsubscribe" from my Ward Calendar. I still want it available online, but only want to sync my Deacon's events to my Google Calendar.

I'd like to second this request. Another use case example is someone acting as building scheduler would likely be subscribed to most (if not all) of the calendars available to them for their calling, but for personal use, would only like to sync a subset of them to their personal calendar. I'm personally subscribed to all of the calendars available to me (ward and stake) but typically only have a subset of them visible. It would be nice if this "visibility" carried over to the sync instead of the subscription.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I too would like to see the subscriptions separated from the calendar display. Perhaps a button to set all the check boxes to match my subscribed calendars, but otherwise there should be no connection.

Return to “Calendar”