Content Dissappearing from App

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
nephitejnf

Content Dissappearing from App

Post by nephitejnf »

I have have had my content deleted from the app after I downloaded it and have re-downloaded after each time it was deleted. It seems to happen after leaving WiFi or leaving it for extended periods. I have looked around my iPod looking for the file containing the content (I am jailbroken) that I am downloading and have not found it. My annotations.sqlite file is there and my annotations have been intact the whole time, but the content itself is always missing.

iOS Version: 5.0
Model: MC540LL
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How full is your device? I've seen reports that as of iOS 5, the device may clear out content if it starts to get full. Since this is all content that can be re-downloaded, then it would seem right that that's one of items that can be purged if a need for more space occurs.

I found a little bit about this feature here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nephitejnf

Post by nephitejnf »

That is crazy, but an interesting move on the part of Apple. So if I can move the content to the documents end it might not get cleared?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nephitejnf wrote:So if I can move the content to the documents end it might not get cleared?

I think the first question is can you move it and still have the app find it?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nephitejnf

Post by nephitejnf »

RussellHltn wrote:I think the first question is can you move it and still have the app find it?

I can backup the content.db file in the caches folder to somewhere else and then move it back if my stuff gets wiped.
philscoville

Post by philscoville »

This is happening to me. Is there a way to make it stop? I guess deleting a few apps would be helpful.
nephitejnf

Post by nephitejnf »

philscoville wrote:This is happening to me. Is there a way to make it stop? I guess deleting a few apps would be helpful.

I found that if you have a jailbroken device, or you can get into the files on it,you can back them up to another location to restore offline in case of iOS 5 wipes.
matthewjn

Post by matthewjn »

A bit late to this thread, but it seems that Apple has a way around this:

UPDATE: In iOS 5.0.1, Apple has added a method for developers to mark files outside of Caches and tmp as “do not back up”. Presumably, once developers adopt this as necessary, this problem should be solved.

Taken from: http://www.marco.org/2011/10/13/ios5-caches-cleaning

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”