Unable to find meeting houses using my GeoLocation

Beta testing of maps.lds.org
ianneub

Unable to find meeting houses using my GeoLocation

Post by ianneub »

Hello,

Using the new lds.org/rcmaps app, I clicked on the location icon which found my location perfectly. I then clicked on Find LDS Places. It returned 0 results, even though there are several chapels nearby.

Please PM me and I can send you the coordinates that it used in the search.

I also tried entering and searching for my address and it returned no responses.

EDIT: I'm using Firefox 9.0.1, Mac OS X Lion. (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ianneub wrote:Using the new lds.org/rcmaps app, I clicked on the location icon which found my location perfectly. I then clicked on Find LDS Places. It returned 0 results, even though there are several chapels nearby.

I happen to be on vacation right now, and I tried the same thing and had similar (but not identical) disappointing results.

In my case, I also saw that the system did find my location perfectly. When I asked for nearby LDS Places, I saw in the Assigned tab:
  • A couple of wards that speak different languages
  • The stake (clearly the correct one from the boundaries)
  • The area
But no regular English-speaking ward was listed, even though one of the wards speaking a non-English language meets in the same building as an English-speaking ward.

Clicking on the Nearby tab, gave better results:
  • Three different meetinghouses, listed by address
  • An LDS Family Services location
  • An Employment Resource Center
  • The local temple
  • The local temple's visitors' center
  • An institute location
Clicking on one of the meetinghouses gave me the information I needed.

But since the "Assigned" tab is the default, it was disappointing that it did not list any wards I could attend. Some people may not even figure out that the "Nearby" tab has helpful information.

I would also be willing to PM location information to a Church employee if it would help track this down.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tdeforest

Right info, confused by display

Post by tdeforest »

I got the correct results but the display confused me for a moment:
Screen Shot 2012-01-18 at 4.42.43 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-01-18 at 4.42.43 PM.jpg (12.23 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
My assigned ward is listed above the assigned tab. But I looked at the assigned tab first and missed the information above it. This might just be a user error, but it seems that my assigned ward should show under the assigned tab.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tdeforest wrote:I got the correct results but the display confused me for a moment:

My assigned ward is listed above the assigned tab. But I looked at the assigned tab first and missed the information above it. This might just be a user error, but it seems that my assigned ward should show under the assigned tab.
Now that you point this out, I think it must be the case that I simply overlooked the most important information on the screen: the assigned ward was indeed displayed, but because it was above the "Assigned" tab, it didn't catch my eye. If multiple people can make the same mistake, then I think that's an indication that the design could be improved.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Beta Maps”