Viewing other ward calendars via the new calendar system

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
colbyj

Viewing other ward calendars via the new calendar system

Post by colbyj »

I think I already know the answer to my question from previous postings... the answer being there is no answer at this time.

With the classic calendar, a stake administrator, or really any member, could go to other ward calendars to view their schedule of events. With the new calendar system, this is not possible, not even for stake administrators. As a stake administrator, I am able to view all the stake level calendars, and also my home ward calendar. But I am not able to view the other unit calendars for our stake.

This creates complications when stake auxiliaries need to adjust dates/events, or add an event because the stake auxiliary leaders are not able to view what the wards may already have scheduled. Viewing the "resources" or building schedule calendar does not help as several units may be in one building, etc...

For example, if the stake primary needs to add a leadership meeting on a Thursday evening for a given month...The stake primary presidency is not able to view what all the other wards may already have scheduled on that particular Thursday. In the past with the classic calendar, the stake primary would have been able to click through the different ward calendars and see if there was a potential conflict, or something already scheduled. We do not have that ability now.

It's not realistic to have the wards send the stake hard-copies of their calendars now, because despite anyone's best planning efforts, some events or assignments will change during the year. The calendar is a living document.

Any solutions in the works? Any advice...other than having to send emails to ward leaders asking about different dates or events?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Yes, it's true that there is no ability for stake people to see ward calendars (other than their own ward's) at this time. Here are some relevant links:
  • Viewing ward calendars as a stake administrator: A thread you started on this same topic.
  • This post, where a Church technical writer discusses some improvements to the documentation in this regard.
  • This post, where I directed you to a post where a Calendar developer assured us that the ability to view ward calendars was coming.
Rather than starting yet another thread on this topic, please respond on one of those existing threads.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”