Can I set up static ip address for mls computer

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
stephen500

Can I set up static ip address for mls computer

Post by stephen500 »

In order to give priority to MLS computer on sunday, can I give it a static ip address and if so how?
Lots of members with wireless devices using up all 32 dhcp (ip addressess cisco 501 pix)
Want members to have access, but want to make sure mls always has access.
Help.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

IIRC the Church default configuration for the Cisco PIX 501 does not include static IP addresses. You will have to call the GSC to have them configure your PIX to set aside some static addresses from the available 32 DHCP addresses.

Once the PIX is set up for static IP addresses the GSC technician can tell you what range the addresses are. Write them down. Now configure each of the administrative computers for a static IP address. There are plenty of websites that provide those instructions. This is one of them.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:IIRC the Church default configuration for the Cisco PIX 501 does not include static IP addresses.

I think at least in the case of a FHC, it does. I think it's the addresses between the gateway address and the first IP from the DHCP.

At any rate, the safest is to work with GSD, because everyone's setup may not be the same.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

Here's an alternative that doesn't involve calling the GSC or setting a static IP: leave your computer on and in standby. -OR- if you go into the BIOS you can set it to automatically turn itself on early Sunday morning, thus guaranteeing it gets an IP. As long as the computer is on, it will maintain that IP address.

Or see if your FM will upgrade you to an 881. Multiple subnets can be added to this router w/o limitation on filtering licenses, giving you all the IP addresses you need.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”