Installed Sophos on MLS computer, Bishop/clerk unable to use internet explorer

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
stephen500

Installed Sophos on MLS computer, Bishop/clerk unable to use internet explorer

Post by stephen500 »

As title I installed Sophos and now Bishop/clerk unable to use IE.
Is this any thing to do with the Sophos firewall.
I know endpoint sophos can block old IE and I am not sure of the age of the IE installed as the ward has just got broadband.
I will seek to upgrade IE this morning in case it is an old broswer that is causing the problem and sophos has blocked old broswers. Any ideas?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Are you saying there is no Internet access using IE? What are the indications that IE is not usable? Are commonly used sites such as LDS.org, Google.com, and Yahoo.com not accessible? Do MLS send/receives complete?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I've had issues where if IE was too old, it wouldn't run. The solution here was to download the latest version of IE onto a flashdrive and install it on the computer. I think it needs to be at least IE8, but I'm just going off memory here. Once the current version was installed, the issue was resolved.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

I have not been able to investigate yet as I only got the message from the Bishop last night. However it appears send and receive work. I am going to check in a couple of hours. But I am of the opinion that they may have an outdated version of IE.
I know that some endpoint versions of Sophos are set so that outdated IE will not run. So first I am going to look at the IE version and if it is old I will update it and then try. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for any replies.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

Crislapi - Sorry I didn't see your reply before I typed my message about outdated IE! Hopefully you are correct. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem may be some settings in the Internet Options that IE is obeying, but other programs, like MLS are probably ignoring.

However, updating IE to the most current version available on the OS (in this case IE8 for WinXP) is a good idea regardless.

Also consider also downloading SP3 for XP. If you find that the machine is on a older service pack, you can apply it. You may find that fixes the problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

I heard that a couple of our wards had similar issues and before I could investigate they'd installed Firefox or Chrome and moved on. If nothing else, that's an easy workaround.
AB
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Note that according to policy "No other software should be purchased or installed on Church computers unless it is approved by the stake president."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”