Rejected Email Addresses

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
zaneclark

Rejected Email Addresses

Post by zaneclark »

Maybe someone can help me with this... I just sent a message to the ward and immediately received back the notice of the email addresses that had 'fatal errors." (That always sounds a little morbid to me...) I was able to track and correct the one with this designation, but there are several others listed as "Deferred......too many errors." I know many of these are correct addresses as I have sent personal email to them. Does Deferred mean they will go out eventually?

(I just noticed that all of the "Deferred" addresses are AOL.... I could say a few choice things about AOL, but not on this forum. )
marmat

Post by marmat »

I believe that the deferred will try resending. Sometimes the recipients email server can tell it is a bulk mail message and will delay processing and sending a bit. Pretty common with big email service providers like AOL and Yahoo! etc.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

This came up in an unrelated area, and involved something unrelated to lds.org or other Church websites, in fact, it was an intermediary site.

The site was AddThis, and in investigating the matter, I found that only one blacklist out of over 150 had anything for that site, and it was only one of the six mailservers that Google had. I did check ldschurch.org and it was totally clean of anything. Ditto for familysearch.org, as some email traffic does come from them via AddThis on account of the Wiki share feature, and some other matters, and that was clean too.

Some local providers set incoming volume threshholds for a domain too low I think, and so it doesn't allow for a lot to go through at one time. Another thing is what is known as 'Sender Policy Framework'. Try sending a message from the Church account to yourself, then use your mail software to view the headers. If the Sender Policy Framework lines are there, you should be OK, if not, that could be the reason right there. Usually you'll see an abbreviation 'SPF' in the header line.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”