Requiring Fast Offering Expense

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
GeoCPU

Requiring Fast Offering Expense

Post by GeoCPU »

Is there a way to set up a requiring fast offering expense, such as an automatice electronic payment. For example, a widowed sister that recieves help with rent every month. My guess is that the answer is "no" but my bishop wishes to have it researched.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

You probably mean 'recurring' fast offering disbursement. I haven't heard of a way but someone else may have an answer one way or the other.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think that's where a good Ward Clerk comes in. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

GeoCPU wrote:... such as an automatice electronic payment
Wards have no capability of making EFTs. The only mechanism they have is cutting checks.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

While you can't make an EFT, perhaps you can prepay the landlord for a year and ask for monthly receipts
as the "Credit" is applied over time. It may save some paperwork, but not quite sure how the church looks
on such a disbursement.
gingus

Post by gingus »

I would just set up a reminder in your clerk's office, or you can do it with Google calendars.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

atticusewig wrote:While you can't make an EFT, perhaps you can prepay the landlord for a year and ask for monthly receipts
as the "Credit" is applied over time. It may save some paperwork, but not quite sure how the church looks
on such a disbursement.

I don't think that's a good idea. Things happen. Getting a refund on the unused portion could be a major headache.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

I don't think so, because it seems like there are two policies that conflict with such a payment. First, in most cases fast offering assistance is intended to be temporary. The number one objective of all welfare assistance is to help the member become self-reliant. Even members who receive long-term assistance do all that they can. An automatically recurring payment would tend to decrease oversight over that expense, and might encourage reliance by the member, in direct opposition to the first principle.

Second, the bishop has to approve all of the fast offering expenses. To me, setting a payment on autopilot results in the bishop not actually approving each of the expenses.

I'm not saying that the bishop can't approve expenses that recur, just that he has to approve each one. I agree with RussellHltn that a good Ward Clerk is invaluable in keeping track of any recurring expenses, maybe by providing the bishop with a monthly Fast Offering Recipient report and having the bishop preapprove any expenses that will occur in the next month. That way, the member's needs remain visible to the bishop, but he isn't constantly having to handle specific requests directly from the member.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”