Mission maps available in Directory

Beta testing of maps.lds.org
erinbourgeous
Church Employee
Church Employee

Mission maps available in Directory

Post by erinbourgeous »

The directory tool has a feature that displays mission boundaries for ward missionaries using the maps beta. You can check it out by signing into lds.org/directory and selecting the "Missionary" link.
Erin Bourgeous
Quality Assurance Engineer, LDS Church
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

erinbourgeous wrote:The directory tool has a feature that displays mission boundaries for ward missionaries using the maps beta. You can check it out by signing into lds.org/directory and selecting the "Missionary" link.
Yes, that was announced already as one of the significant improvements in Directory 1.7. You might want to review the thread Directory version 1.7 released! to see some early feedback on that feature.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
erinbourgeous
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erinbourgeous »

aebrown wrote:Yes, that was announced already as one of the significant improvements in Directory 1.7. You might want to review the thread Directory version 1.7 released! to see some early feedback on that feature.
Thanks. I'm interested in any issues users might be experiencing with the maps (long response times, maps tiles or boundaries not displaying, etc.). I figured this would be an appropriate place to post the maps-related problems as directory is using the beta version of maps.
Erin Bourgeous
Quality Assurance Engineer, LDS Church
greggo

Post by greggo »

erinbourgeous wrote:Thanks. I'm interested in any issues users might be experiencing with the maps (long response times, maps tiles or boundaries not displaying, etc.). I figured this would be an appropriate place to post the maps-related problems as directory is using the beta version of maps.

I assume by "ward missionaries" you're referring to missionaries serving from my ward. I checked for missionaries serving from a neighboring ward in our stake (there are no FT missionaries currently serving from my little branch), and there is a long response time before a map appears. The map that eventually appears in every case has no boundaries indicated and it is not the correct location (it's actually an area within my ward).
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

erinbourgeous wrote:Thanks. I'm interested in any issues users might be experiencing with the maps (long response times, maps tiles or boundaries not displaying, etc.). I figured this would be an appropriate place to post the maps-related problems as directory is using the beta version of maps.

Are we talking about the Missionary Maps window in the Directory or the Mission boundary on the Maps function? From my experience, the Mission boundary never loads on the Maps function (the Area boundary sometimes loads and sometimes never does). The postage stamp-sized window for the Mission Boundary on the Directory is interesting, but of little productive use for me because there is no other detail to reference it against.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

greggo wrote:I assume by "ward missionaries" you're referring to missionaries serving from my ward.
If everything is properly configured, you'll see listed in the Missionary section of the directory:
  • The Ward Mission Leader (if he has the correct standard calling specified in MLS).
  • Full-time missionaries assigned to your ward (if the mission has assigned missionaries, and properly configured them in their system to be connected with your stake/ward)
  • Full-time missionaries serving from your ward (if the Missionary Department has them connected to your ward -- note that this is not necessarily the same as the ward with financial responsibility for the missionary)
greggo wrote:I checked for missionaries serving from a neighboring ward in our stake (there are no FT missionaries currently serving from my little branch), and there is a long response time before a map appears. The map that eventually appears in every case has no boundaries indicated and it is not the correct location (it's actually an area within my ward).

When I click on a missionary's name, I usually see my ward's area shown first. Then sometimes a few seconds later I see the mission boundaries for the assigned mission. Sometimes I don't see the mission boundaries until I click on the missionary's name again. Sometimes that doesn't work, either, for some missionaries. But for some missionaries it works right away and I see the mission boundaries. It's quite inconsistent. Clearing the browser cache doesn't seem to have any effect.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:Are we talking about the Missionary Maps window in the Directory or the Mission boundary on the Maps function?
This thread deals with the Missionary option within the Directory (lds.org/directory).
davesudweeks wrote:From my experience, the Mission boundary never loads on the Maps function (the Area boundary sometimes loads and sometimes never does).
I assume you're talking about the map that appears when you follow the link from the Missionary section of the Directory for a particular missionary that is labeled "View in LDS Maps." If so, then my experience is quite different. Although I have some problems with the embedded map on the Directory app itself, when I follow the link to the LDS Maps app, I always see the correct mission with the correct boundary.
davesudweeks wrote:AThe postage stamp-sized window for the Mission Boundary on the Directory is interesting, but of little productive use for me because there is no other detail to reference it against.
I'm not sure what you are looking at that you describe as a "postage stamp-sized window." The map I see is 410x300, which is a fairly decent size.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

My experience on Windows XP and FirFox 9 is that when I click a missionary name I get his/her picture, telephone number/mission name and the mission area map with boundaries. The map takes five seconds to be displayed. The size is as aebrown describes. When I click the "View on LDS Maps" I sometimes get the same map in LDS Maps, only larger in another tab. At other times I get a map of my metropolitan area with no boundaries of any kind. This is a zoomed in map centered over my city.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

The window is larger than "postage stamp" size. Still, I found the map on the Directory interesting, but not particularly useful.

I had never clicked on the link to view it in LDS Maps and just did so for a missionary from our ward serving in Spain. Her mission Boundary did accurately load up in Spain.

I stand corrected.
greggo

Post by greggo »

I now get the following proxy error for both the embedded map on the Directory and when I follow the link to the LDS Maps app.

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /rcmaps/embed.
Reason: Error reading from remote server
Apache/2.2.21 (Linux/SUSE) Server at lds.org Port 80

Return to “Beta Maps”