Audio / Video inventory for buildings

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
johnshaw

Audio / Video inventory for buildings

Post by johnshaw »

I was hoping to gather some data around what wards and branches, along with STS, expectations of the availability for A/V in our buildings? Can you post your thoughts, or what you've learned is supposed to be in the Materials Center/Libraries?

By observation only:
1 Large TV w DVD/VCR combo - 1 cart
2 smaller TV w/ DVD/VCR combo - 2 carts
If the building has a satellite, a functioning Projector is required

With my new Stake Center we received the following
4 DVD/Projector stand alone units w/ HDMI inputs (no instruction was given, but the assumption is that this is for Seminary)
3 Projectors - (2) For the 2 projector screens in the chapel and the cultural hall, (1) for the building (assuming)
1 Large LCD screen w DVD/VCR combo - 1 cart
4 smaller TV/DVD combos that can be carried in a bag from room to room
1 low-end HD Camera

To me this is a vast difference, and I'd like to work with my physical facilities and FM to see if we can move the A/V equipment in support of the online tools being more available - I've got LDSAccess in all my buildings now, full building coverage, so my next step is to help members use the tools in their lesson plans, training, etc...
What say ye? Anyone else our there with new buildings can confirm equipment received etc...????
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:By observation only:
1 Large TV w DVD/VCR combo - 1 cart
2 smaller TV w/ DVD/VCR combo - 2 carts
If the building has a satellite, a functioning Projector is required

That's a lot closer to what our stake center has then the second list.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Working with my Stake PFR and our Stake Sunday School President, we have compiled an inventory list of TV, VCR, and DVD technology. We were extremely surprised by what we discovered. We have an average manufacture date of 1999 for our LARGE CRT Televisions, our average manufacture date for our 13 in TV/VCR combos is 1997. We have televisions with no RCA inputs where someone put in a RF Modulator to get a DVD or VCR working for the television, (in 3 buildings this is the case). As far as I can see we haven't had a TV replaced since 2003, until this year, one unit did receive a replacement 32 in LCD for a broken TV. We also have a new building that I've referenced above.

We are a bit surprised that there isn't some kind of automated upgrade system like there is for most things in the buildings, each year as we complete the FM budgeting, a list is printed out for each building. I've never seen a computer or a tv on that list, but it just seems like it should be there. Why do we have a rotation to replace tables, chairs, desks, but not computers, or audio/video equipment? At least we don't in my FM group.

I did find some guidelines from our FM regarding equipment (they look very old, copies, of copies, of faxes, I am suspicious that they are not the most recent communication), and when to consider repair vs replacement, but the definitions include Working and non-Working - Is a television that has a loud annoying hiss or the screen is a bit squiggly, or has 1 inch black screen all the way around.... is that non-functioning? To one generation, that might be defined as working just fine, to another it might not.

Does anyone else have experience as a PFR or working with FM with regard to audio/video equipment in materials centers? Can you help us figure out what we seem to be missing in our interaction?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JohnShaw wrote:We are a bit surprised that there isn't some kind of automated upgrade system like there is for most things in the buildings, each year as we complete the FM budgeting, a list is printed out for each building. I've never seen a computer or a tv on that list, but it just seems like it should be there.
There is a replacement cycle for computers found in Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping. It is on a five year cycle. But that cycle is a recommendation that was suspended for a couple of years back in 2009 due to Church wide FM budget constraints. We should be back on that cycle now. But the final decision rests with the FM Group based on their budgeting priorities.
JohnShaw wrote:I did find some guidelines from our FM regarding equipment (they look very old, copies, of copies, of faxes, I am suspicious that they are not the most recent communication), and when to consider repair vs replacement, but the definitions include Working and non-Working - Is a television that has a loud annoying hiss or the screen is a bit squiggly, or has 1 inch black screen all the way around.... is that non-functioning?
When I was an STS I was also concerned about the dated inventory of audio and video equipment. I was told something similar to what you have posted - that they would be replaced when malfunctioning and cannot be repaired. I believe the definition of malfunctioning, or non-working, is subjective. To me the definition of malfunctioning is when the device cannot be used for its intended purpose or that its operation adversely affects or detracts from the presentation. Your examples all fit my criteria.

My requests for replacements were denied due to budget constraints. I placed the items I thought needed replacing on a list that I never was able to follow through on because I moved out of state.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I like that definition as well, non-Working to me is not the same as does it turn on or not, however, evangelizing that position is taking some time. I'm enlisting my Stake Sunday School president as well, we're hoping to come at in from multiple fronts. I don't expect anything to immediately change, but hope that over the next couple of years we can get where we need to be.

I did get upgrades to all our 8 year old clerk computers in 2010, so that worked out for me on that one, but with the specific policy you referenced it isn't that hard for the Stake President to make it happen. The murky water around A/V is a bit different, it would be good to have some kind of official policy around that as well.. Subjective is very difficult to budget for, it is actually surprising that there isn't a defined rotation like there is for many things in the buildings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:The murky water around A/V is a bit different, it would be good to have some kind of official policy around that as well.. Subjective is very difficult to budget for, it is actually surprising that there isn't a defined rotation like there is for many things in the buildings.

I think A/V is different in that it doesn't tend to go out of date like a computer. A TV is a TV is a TV as long as it's working properly. Does it really matter if it's CRT or flat-screen?

If you feel that things are going out of date, (it's too small, or too heavy) the best time to bring it up with the FM group is when they are planning next year's budget. They're much less open to changes once they have to follow a budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kcmcbride

Post by kcmcbride »

I am dealing with this issue in our stake, our building is not the stake center but it is the building used for seminary where 8-10 classes are held each morning. A/V has been an ongoing challenge in this building. There are 2 TVs with DVD players and no portable audio players w/speakers, and no projector. Seminary teachers have bought and brought in their own TV/DVD combos that they keep in their closets.

Now with Internet in the building and the growing interest for using LDS Media Library content including MormonMessages videos in classrooms on Sunday, the A/V equipment has become inadequate. Currently those using video from lds.org / youtube.com are having to download them from home and either burn to DVD and use the TV/DVD carts in the building, or download from home and play off their computer with their small screen in the classroom. The building does not have an LCD projector, but few bring in their personal projector. The response from our facilities group was the same: policy is that they can only replace A/V equipment if it is broken. Our Bishop is about to tell the stake we are going to buy two TVs to help Seminary and the 3 wards in our building and if the stake wants to help great, if not, the 3 wards will split it with budget money.

Ideally, there should be an easy way for teachers to access and play any content from the excellent LDS.org Media Library in the building. If there was an Internet LCD TV and the appropriate apps loaded on there such as LDS Gospel Library that can download videos or Mormon Channel (from Android market? such as on a Google TV??), that would be great. An AppleTV is another option that can access all MormonMessages via a Podcast. I want our members to be able to easily use (and it works reliably) anything in the Media Library!
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

kcmcbride wrote:Ideally, there should be an easy way for teachers to access and play any content from the excellent LDS.org Media Library in the building. If there was an Internet LCD TV and the appropriate apps loaded on there such as LDS Gospel Library that can download videos or Mormon Channel (from Android market? such as on a Google TV??), that would be great. An AppleTV is another option that can access all MormonMessages via a Podcast. I want our members to be able to easily use (and it works reliably) anything in the Media Library!
From what I understand in other areas in the board, the church has recognized each of these issues, and are walking through different content scenarios, one idea that I have heard mentioned earlier is a media server in each building that synch's content during the week, and then uses the high-bandwidth local network (wireless or lan) to deliver the media content. Roku might be a device that you could look at and the Mormon Channel on there. I am looking at providing them on each of our LCD/DVD combos + the 32 in TV.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:From what I understand in other areas in the board, the church has recognized each of these issues, and are walking through different content scenarios, one idea that I have heard mentioned earlier is a media server in each building that synch's content during the week, and then uses the high-bandwidth local network (wireless or lan) to deliver the media content. Roku might be a device that you could look at and the Mormon Channel on there. I am looking at providing them on each of our LCD/DVD combos + the 32 in TV.

With the exception of live content, it seems to me the simplest method is if the church provides a ISO image to download and burn the content to DVD. However, they do tend to be large. That would allow use of existing equipment in the meetinghouse and well as ease of use. The Internet becomes problematic as you have to have connectivity and enough bandwidth to support all those classes.

Use of the Western Digital device could be a useful item at the ward level. They're fairly inexpensive.

AdameRobertson

AV Technology Inventory

Post by AdameRobertson »

I went through our ward library today in response to some suggestions/issues from some of the Sunday School Teachers on the adequacy of the existing equipment. There are three old style CRT televisions on carts. All have VCR capability, but only one has a DVD player with it. Since the Sunday School curriculum has the adult Sunday School, and the Youth Sunday School in lock step on the lessons, if there is a video recommended for the lesson, it is likely that three will be needed.

Many of the Sunday School teachers, including myself, often bring in our own equipment: iPADs for small classes, computers with projectors and speakers for larger classes.

It would be ideal if the teachers had access to modern technology, including the LDS.org website, for teaching.

Some Ideas:
Modern LCD TVs are often web enabled and could be restricted to the local meeting house wireless. Internet safety is straight forward to address at the router by domain restrictions. A teacher would only need the LCD TV. For backward compatibility a DVD/VCR can go with the LCD TV.

At home today I used my iPhone to play locally stored church video content downloaded from the internet on my LCD TV. A simple iPAD could do the same thing, and for small classes that is all that is needed. A substantial amount of church content will fit on such a device readily, and even the 16GB model will handle probably all the video that is referenced in all the manuals combined. POD casts of general conference can be kept as well or dynamically downloaded as needed for short clips in lessons.

As an example, I loaned my iPAD to a technology novice primary teacher today for a lesson and it was easier and faster for her to use than rolling in a TV and DVD player from the library. No remote, no RCA cables, no power cord to route, etc.

In any case, a regular technology inventory and update schedule for the buildings would be a great benefit.

Regards,
Adam

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”