Unsigned Donation Check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jeromer7

Unsigned Donation Check

Post by jeromer7 »

A unit notified me that after closing and transmitting their donation batch, they noticed the member hadn't signed their check and the member is not available to correct this omission.
The Wiki explains how to adjust the amount of a check in a closed batch, but not how to remove a check (at least that I could find). A quick search of the Forum didn't turn up a similar situation either.
I have the unit holding on actually making the donation in hopes someone here can provide a solution.
JLR
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Can you adjust it to $0.00?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Do you need to edit the donation or cancel it? The Wiki indicates that for units on CUBS, canceling it requires a call to CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

At this point, I would deposit it. Let the bank decide whether or not to clear it.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

Can you adjust it to $0.00?
The unit called me 45 mins prior to a Stake General Priesthood so we didn't have time to experiment. I assume it could be adjusted, but not sure of the results of setting the donation to $0.00.

We were hoping to delete it from the transmitted batch. I found the Wiki article to adjust a total, but didn't see the other. I was looking for "delete check", but maybe it is under "cancel."

I met with the clerk and bishop following General Priesthood and we agreed to follow Lajackson's advice.

Thanks for each of you taking time to respond.
JLR
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

In a recent training the Bishop's of our stake were instructed by our regional authorities that the number 1 rule when processing donations is to get the batch to the bank. To that end, I agree with lajackson. It will probably result in a returned check. I would imagine the process would then be similar to an NSF returned check.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”