showing media issues

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
farwest

showing media issues

Post by farwest »

We've been instructed to get our wireless up and running throughout the building which we have done. We also upped our speed to 15M so we could stream church video's. The issue still is that the video's pause and start. That is why I would like a hard copy so I know it is going to work. What is the solution so you have good access when you want to show something. I wish we could download all church content such as Elder Bednar's talks and church training video's for the handbook.
JeffTurgeon

Post by JeffTurgeon »

What are you using to translate the video stream from the Internet (laptop, desktop, Roku)?

I've experienced this same problem with older laptops and desktops with the video stream (pause, freeze, hiccup) because they do not create a buffer; they only stream live. If you are using a computer to translate make sure you have a fast processor and descent graphics card. This will help greatly.

This is one of the main reasons why I enjoyed Beta testing on the Roku Beta testing team. The Roku device buffers the broadcast (30sec or so) so if there is any hesitation in the ISP or the cloud re-broadcasting the stream from SLC this delay/hiccup is not seen by the end user. I've tested the Roku both hardwired and wireless and had no problem with an 8Mbps ISP connection. I've found the slowest connection is not to the ISP but rather to SLC's rebroadcasting cloud server, at times it varied down to 4Mbps which may be why the buffering helped greatly.
farwest

Post by farwest »

I have used my i-phone 4s which has worked sometimes also lenovo r61 laptop which has 2.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo and 4 meg memory. Also when watching church video's on church dell 740 which I have put more memory in has issue's also. So what do I need to do to use a Roku? Is that going to be the best way to do video in class and ward and stake training?
JeffTurgeon

Post by JeffTurgeon »

As for your computer specs I'm guessing you meant 4 gig of memory not 4 meg. 4 meg of memory would be choking all the time. Your processor and 4Gig Ram should be fine as long as the graphics card is descent as well. But there still probably isn't much buffering going on, unless you are using another streaming program to help with the buffer request for the video.

One such program from Microsoft may help you with the buffering/hardware configuration. You may wish to look at this website:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... n&id=17678

WRT Roku, I know the Roku box I used (locked down by the church testing program) has more church channels than typical members can gain access. This is how I was able to test and verify the Priesthood session.

My test Roku box included these channels from which I can select an array of sub-content within:
1) Mormon Channel (available to public)
- New & Popular videos
- Life of Jesus Christ Bible Videos
- Mormon Life videos
- Homefronts, church films, scripture stories
- Mormon Messages
- For Youth: short messages about values and principles
- Radio: Live Mormon channel radio & episodes from past stories
- Broadcasts & Events: Live church broadcasts and archived content from past events
2) BYU TV (available to public)
- BYU TV Live
- Featured episodes
- Top shows
- BYU sports
- Biographies
- Campus events
- Documentaries
- Faith
- Family
- Lifestyle
- People
- Performing Arts
- Scriptures
- Talk & News

3) Live Broadcasts (Locked from general public)
- Live Broadcasts & Events
(this is where Priesthood session, CES broadcasts, General Conference, etc. can be viewed)
Note: General Conference can be viewed from the BYU TV or Mormon Channel which are available to general public
- English Version
- English with Sign Language Version
- Spanish Version
- Portuguese Version
- French Version
4) Seminaries & Institutes of Religion (Locked from general public)
* Here the seminary/institute teacher can select video clips, short talks, etc. to supplement their lessons
- Exodus
- Leviticus
- Numbers
- Deuteronomy
- Joshua
- Judges
- Ruth
- 1 Samuel

I'm not sure where the stake training films would be located of if this would be another channel. My tests did not include this content. My last Beta test was during last Sunday's CES broadcast.

Someone in your Ward probably has a Roku box if you want to see what it can do. You may wish to inquire at your next Ward Council meeting / presidency meeting. I like the fact that since most of our buildings have newly designed WIFI we can just plug in the small Roku box (size of a cereal bowl) and plug it into the TV/projector and stream the content using either hardwired Internet or wireless from any room in the building. The church prefers units that can be hardwired or used wireless.

The only problem is that we need to be sure that no non-church content is streamed at church. A locked down box helps control this but a regular member's box would not be locked down and could present a potential problem if they started streaming Netflix content or other videos feeds.

Here is a link to a church description of the Roku box for the general membership:
http://lds.org/media-library/accessing- ... u?lang=eng

Hope this helps...
carsonm

Post by carsonm »

I used the Roku for testing streaming of general conference in a new building that has DSL. For the most part it worked out good except for some buffering. The Roku model I am using is the Roku 2 XS model. I used the wired connection on the Roku and unplugged the WAP near the chapel area. I noticed that on this model you can add a micro SD card. Per the Roku support site, you need a micro SD card that is 2 GB or larger and a Class 2 type of card. I tried a 8 GB Kingston card in it, and no go, won't even do the initial formatting of the card. How do you know if you have Class 2 micro SD card? Has anyone else tried the use of the micro SD card in a Roku to see if help with buffering? If so, what brand of SD card was used and what was the capacity of the card?
Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

On normal sized SD cards the class is easy to identify. It's a big "C" with a number in the middle. But I'm not sure if the micro SD card has enough space for that.

The manual says it can be used for "channel storage" (as in using multiple channels) but I don't see where it will improve your experience with A channel.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The MicroSD card is for channel storage, not for enhancing streaming.

That said, you can offload a Conference session, can be done immediately after the session is over in fact, put it on a USB drive, and stream it that way. In fact there is a new USB app on the Channel Store that will help do that. I saw it on the demo table at LDS Tech.

Return to “Digital Media”