Tithing Debit Card Machine

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
BenJoeM-p40

Tithing Debit Card Machine

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

Just for the heck of it, but I thought I would toss this idea out. I write one check a month. One! Everything else is paid online or I used my debit card.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could go up to the clerk's office, swipe your debit card, put in your pin. A receipt would print and you put it into a tithing envelope and hand it to the bishop. It would clear faster, it is more secure, and talk about easy!

Machines and setup are super inexpensive (I know I sell them) and the money would go straight to the assigned account.

Even future down the line, a kiosk were you kid fill out your whole tithing slip and swipe your card.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

EFT is available now. See this thread.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

EFT is available, but far from convenient or easy to setup as opposed to continuing to write the "one" check a month
ihenpecked

Post by ihenpecked »

I didn't think it was a huge inconvenience. I had trouble getting any information from the church finance department about questions I had about EFT. But once I set it up, it about 30 seconds to complete the transaction. Very easy.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Yes machines are inexpensive, but there still is a ~1% processing fee that ETF does not have (the bank might charge you one in addition though). Though it was an interesting idea.

One thing I do wish the church would add is the syncronization of tithing reports of your account accross the church. That would make it so at tithing settlement you do not have to worry about getting a statement from every ward you were in, but it would all be at your current ward. (In addition it would make the ETF option feel better to the lay member in the church.)
- David
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

Thanks for the replies. To be honest my first desire was to do a search for this topic but then thought..who would be talking about this..I was wrong.

Well the 1% would be a problem especially if you want to pay 10%, technically you are only paying 9%. Just looking for a technology way to help the process and get rid of my check book.

Bueno,

Thanks for the posts.
seanmcox-p40

Post by seanmcox-p40 »

thedqs wrote:One thing I do wish the church would add is the syncronization of tithing reports of your account accross the church. That would make it so at tithing settlement you do not have to worry about getting a statement from every ward you were in, but it would all be at your current ward. (In addition it would make the ETF option feel better to the lay member in the church.)
Yes! I've had a hard time imagining why this hasn't been done yet. I've been in 4 different wards in the past two years (5 in the past 3 years, and looking to move again soon). (Singles ward, got married and went to a family ward, moved out of the bad part of town to stay with my in-laws, got into family housing at the university, graduated and got a job, and now I'm looking to buy a house while the prices are good. My tithing settlements and statements have been disappointingly incomplete. Kind of OK though, 10% isn't hard to calculate.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

seanmcox wrote:Yes! I've had a hard time imagining why this hasn't been done yet.
I can imagine lots of reasons.

The first one on my list is who do you go to if you feel the information is incorrect? Only the ward that accepted your donation is in a position to investigate any discrepancy. So under the current system, the unit that gives you the paper is the one that's responsible for it's accuracy.

Another consideration is tax law. We tend to think of the church as one large monolith, but how does the IRS (in the US) see it? I write my check out to my ward, not to the Corporation of the President.

When happens when a member moves between countries?

The bottom line is while the current system is a hassle for members who move, it is true to the KISS principle.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:The first one on my list is who do you go to if you feel the information is incorrect? Only the ward that accepted your donation is in a position to investigate any discrepancy. So under the current system, the unit that gives you the paper is the one that's responsible for it's accuracy.

hat is true but as I do not receive any paper from past wards anyway it makes this point mute, I'd rather have a full list then an incomplete. Though you are right that the ward that accepted the donation would have to account for any discrepancy. (My current system for tithing is to keep track of it meticulously on a financial program, the paper I get from the wards just is to verify that everything went where it should have)
RussellHltn wrote:Another consideration is tax law. We tend to think of the church as one large monolith, but how does the IRS (in the US) see it? I write my check out to my ward, not to the Corporation of the President.

I could be wrong but I believe that it is registered as a single monolithic charity with multiple registered names so that the wards can accept donations. (By the way wasn't the Corporation of the President renamed to Intellectual Reserve?)
RussellHltn wrote:When happens when a member moves between countries?
This could be harder to handle but at least the member would have a complete record of tithing paid.
RussellHltn wrote:The bottom line is while the current system is a hassle for members who move, it is true to the KISS principle.
It does keep it simple, but I believe it would still be simple and less hassle for the tithing report to include all donations made throughout the year. And with technology today it should be simple to do. Even if the ward wouldn't keep track of it if I could see it under my LUWS profile as a report it would be great too.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:That is true but as I do not receive any paper from past wards anyway it makes this point mute,
And moot too. :D But the reasons you don't get those papers is you didn't let them know where to find you. If you'd ask, they'd send it to you. If you ever get audited, it will be needed. Keep in mind, it's not just an verification of numbers, but a legal statement that the donation is indeed a chartable donation. (Not all money you give to the church is a chartable donation.)

The rest of the issues is something that has to be addressed by a tax lawyer.

However, if MLS could be modified so that each unit is updated with the member's current address so the statements can be mailed, that would solve all the possible legal issues and still get the information to the members.

thedqs wrote:By the way wasn't the Corporation of the President renamed to Intellectual Reserve?
I think IR is for copyright stuff, (so we see it a lot more) but I could be wrong.

Return to “General Discussions”