Scriptures Podcast

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Lane-p40

Scriptures Podcast

Post by Lane-p40 »

Hello Everyone,

I am New to this forum and this is my first post to it.

My Idea and Suggestion is to add customizable Podcasts of the Scriptures.

I few months ago I created a personal Podcast of the Book of Mormon so I could have a chapter sent everyday to my portable media device (iPod). After a few people found out what I had done they wanted access to it also. As a result I created a public version with the 5 standard works in customizable Podcasts at http://www.ScripturesPodcast.org.

I believe customizable Podcasts of the Scriptures would be a valuable tool that an ever growing online community would utilize. You can look at http://www.ScripturesPodcast.org for a basic model of how this could be done but there are other possible ideas that can be added. Besides Individual customized Scriptures there could be "Group" Scripture Podcasts with predefined Scriptures Readings.

Podcasting the Scriptures might even make it easier for some people to be exposed to the scriptures.

LDS.org already has a lot of great audio material available online that can be utilized into Special Topic or Event Podcasts. A sample of this is another site I put together at http://www.BookOfMormonPodcast.org utilizing the Book of Mormon Study Guide material already available online.

What does everyone think about these Podcast ideas and suggestions for the LDS.org websites?

Thanks for any comments or feedback.

Lane
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Very cool. I think this would be a really neat addition to LDS.org.
HintonBR

Post by HintonBR »

I would love to see the podcasting feature added to LDS.org natively. As for the group functions etc... I would love to see the podcasting feature be integrated into LUWS so that it automatically synced with each ward's SS schedule.

The groups thing I think would be best done by community sites outside of LDS.org (LDS.org doesn't feel like the right place for custom groups to me). Which with a proper url convention for the mp3s it wouldn't be hard to create dynamic lists like that - looking at the mp3 names for the Book of Mormon - they take on a number sequence to the beginning of each mp3 that makes it harder to determine the name of the mp3 than is necessary. I don't know the contact person here at the Church to ask or I would ask them why we added that to the file name - it doesn't seem to be needed.

Lane - not sure if you are willing to share, but I would be interested in hearing how you are creating the podcast stuff - I would assume that you are using the audio files from the church website as the audio source for the podcast?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

HintonBR wrote:looking at the mp3 names for the Book of Mormon - they take on a number sequence to the beginning of each mp3 that makes it harder to determine the name of the mp3 than is necessary. I don't know the contact person here at the Church to ask or I would ask them why we added that to the file name - it doesn't seem to be needed.
Looking at the MP3 names on lds.org the numbers appear to be there to cause the files to sort in the same order as found in our scriptures. (For example, to keep Enos after Jacob)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Note sure if this article will help with the naming issue or not but I will pass it along anyway.

http://tech.lds.org/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=79

Tom
Lane-p40

Post by Lane-p40 »

Hello HintonBR,
HintonBR wrote:Lane - not sure if you are willing to share, but I would be interested in hearing how you are creating the podcast stuff ...

If the church would like to do any Podcasting Projects I would be more than glad to share my Podcasting information.
HintonBR wrote:... I would assume that you are using the audio files from the church website as the audio source for the podcast?

Yes, These Podcasts do reference the LDS.org audio sources and supplies links back to LDS.org and the locations of both the audio source and the Scripture source.

Lane

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”