Building scheduler can't schedule conflicting reservations and/or events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jficklin

Building scheduler can't schedule conflicting reservations and/or events

Post by jficklin »

According to the help page on reservations -
"Building schedulers have special rights to override reservations with events for their assigned location. They are allowed to save events that use any rooms in their location at the same time as an existing reservation, even if that reservation is for another ward or the stake or even if the reservation is a "Blocked" reservation."

In our stake we have elected to create a location titled "Stake Equipment" which covers certain equipment not tied to any building. Because of other complications related to use of the equipment we have elected to "block" all the dates and times for the equipment to force scheduling to go through the stake technology clerk (me). However, when I, the stake technology clerk, who has been given "building scheduler" rights to the "Stake Equipment" location try to add a requested event over top of the "block" - I get a scheduling conflict. What is going wrong... why can't I as a "building scheduler" save an event at the same time as the existing blocked reservation?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You should be able to. You might want to verify that you do have building scheduler rights to that "location". You might also look to make sure there isn't an existing event that's the source of the conflict.

Note that it's normal for the calendar to advise you of "possible" conflicts, but you still should be able to save the event.

Which brings up another point - you are trying to create an event and not another reservation? You can't have overlapping reservations for the same location/room.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jficklin

Post by jficklin »

Yes, I've gone to the calendars/settings/locations and rooms/ screen, clicked on the location, and sure enough, there I am listed as a building scheduler. This is a new location, there are no events, and just the one "blocking" reservation. Actually, I've tried to enter this as both an event and as a reservation. It won't save either way.

I note the help page reads:
"Building schedulers are not prevented from making reservations for locations that other building schedulers have blocked (assuming both building schedulers are assigned the same location)."

I don't know if that means a scheduler can make reservations over "blocks" from other schedulers but not over "blocks" they themselves have set??? It seems to me that if a scheduler can make a reservation over an existing reservation or block from another scheduler, they should also be able to make a reservation over their own reservation or block. It's a mystery to me. At any rate, it appears that in my case that I as a building scheduler cannot either save an event nor make a reservation over a "block" which I have created.

Anyone got any more ideas?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jficklin wrote:I don't know if that means a scheduler can make reservations over "blocks" from other schedulers but not over "blocks" they themselves have set??? It seems to me that if a scheduler can make a reservation over an existing reservation or block from another scheduler, they should also be able to make a reservation over their own reservation or block. It's a mystery to me. At any rate, it appears that in my case that I as a building scheduler cannot either save an event nor make a reservation over a "block" which I have created.

A building scheduler can schedule over any reservation -- it doesn't matter which scheduler created the reservation. A building scheduler cannot schedule over an event, but you're saying there are no events.
jficklin wrote:Anyone got any more ideas?

Only to check that you are using the right location, and that the conflict message actually is showing the block reservation. But it sounds like you've done that.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jficklin wrote: However, when I, the stake technology clerk, who has been given "building scheduler" rights to the "Stake Equipment" location try to add a requested event over top of the "block" - I get a scheduling conflict. What is going wrong... why can't I as a "building scheduler" save an event at the same time as the existing blocked reservation?

You may want to switch to week view and select that "location" (Stake Equipment) to view. Turn off everything else for good measure. See if there isn't an event that's hiding from you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jficklin

Post by jficklin »

Well now I'm more happy but even more perplexed. I went back and tried again to enter an event... did everything exactly light before and low and behold this time it permitted me to save the event. I tried three more events and these, too, also saved correctly. Maybe it took the system awhile to figure out I really was a building scheduler. I don't know. But I'm delighted things now seem to be working correctly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jficklin wrote:Maybe it took the system awhile to figure out I really was a building scheduler.

I suppose that's possible. Although in this situation, it seems kind of odd that it would need time to do that.

I have seen programs where you have to log off/log on to get your new permissions.

Return to “Calendar”