Changing to private calendar - warning message in error?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Changing to private calendar - warning message in error?

Post by russellhltn »

I was trying to change a Stake "public" calendar to private, and I get the following message:
Change calendar or private

Since you are not an editor of this calendar, changing it to private will not allow you to edit this calendar anymore. Do you want to proceed?
The thing is, I am a editor. I see myself listed both by name and calling with both view and edit rights.

Anyone know if this message is in error, or if I really will lose control if I make it private?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:The thing is, I am a editor. I see myself listed both by name and calling with both view and edit rights.

Anyone know if this message is in error, or if I really will lose control if I make it private?

The error message is bogus. When the calendar becomes private, you will still have whatever rights you already had when the calendar was public.

There certainly could be some cases where the message is appropriate, but it seems to pop up whenever a calendar becomes private, regardless of the actual permissions of the person making the change.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I assume the warnings when unsubscribing is similarly bogus? I hadn't worried about them until now since I had only been working with public calendars.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I assume the warnings when unsubscribing is similarly bogus? I hadn't worried about them until now since I had only been working with public calendars.
The only warning I get when I attempt to unsubscribe from a calendar (either public or private) for which I am an editor is this: "You are an editor of this calendar. You could toggle the calendar off instead of unsubscribing. Are you sure you want to unsubscribe?"

That doesn't seem bogus at all. It's a helpful reminder that unsubscribing will mean that you will no longer be able to see events on a calendar that you have some responsibility for. In such a situation, you could create an event on that calendar, but then not see it appear. That could be confusing (and we have seen posts on this forum where people clearly were confused by this very scenario).

The message could be worded better (will everyone understand what "toggle the calendar off" means?), but the message does seem useful.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”